For most parents and other caregivers, summer is by far the best season to connect kids with nature. The weather’s nice, the youngsters are out of school, and parents often take time off as well. So don’t miss the opportunity to schedule in some outdoor time.
Here’s a few hints to help you along the way:
- Nature is all around us. You typically don’t have to go far to find nature. For small kids, there’s likely plenty in the backyard, courtyard, or schoolyard. National parks are great, but kids foster a deep connection with nature close to home!
- It’s okay to not have a plan. Don’t worry too much about what to do once you arrive at your nature-rich destination. What kids really need is free time to engage all their senses and use their imaginations.
- You can learn too. You don’t need to be an expert on nature. (In fact, you don’t need to know anything at all about science or nature.) Most important is simply to get out there, show that you value the outdoors, and be ready to have fun. Oh, and remember, questions are way more powerful than answers anyway!
- Sit back and watch your kids learn. Don’t be too much of a helicopter parent, hovering over your kids and always saying “no.” Instead, be more of a “hummingbird parent,” staying on the periphery and diving in to save the day only when necessary.
- Allow your kids to be kids. And let kids take some risks. Most of us climbed trees, played with sticks, and got muddy as kids—and we lived to tell the story. Nature connection is a contact sport, and both kids and nature can take it!
Still don’t know where to start? Buddy and his friends from Dinosaur Train are ready to help you explore the nature around you all summer long with the Nature Trackers Summer Challenge!
Filled with activities that will let you PLAY, DO, and EXPLORE this challenge is the perfect way to engage your children with nature. From velociraptors to volcanoes the Nature Trackers Summer Challenge includes 10 weeks of themed activities. Each week is equipped with activities and lessons designed to let you pick and choose what best fits you and your child’s interests.
No matter the weather or time of day the Nature Trackers Summer Challenge has an adventure waiting for you. Alright, get those kids outside, into nature, making their own discoveries!