If you live in the Pacific Northwest you are in the midst of experiencing a glorious Fall. The range of autumn colors surrounding the area is a breathtaking sign that the colder weather is upon us.
In three days millions of kids across the country will be ringing door bells and knocking on doors dressed as their favorite princesses and superheroes. With one eye on the clock and the other out the window, they will eagerly be waiting for dusk to signal when they can grab their bags and descend in into neighborhoods with the goal of collecting as much candy as possible.
The last thing on their candy obsessed minds is dinner, and parents know this. It’s important to make sure children are well fed before sending them out into the cold weather for a night of running door-to-door as fast as they can and wearing themselves out.
With November just around the corner it’s the perfect time to share one of our family’s favorite soup recipes. It is guaranteed to keep everyone warm and tummies satisfied. Coconut chicken curry soup is quick and easy to prepare and will give your kids the energy they need before their journey begins, which will end in a sugar induced coma. Have a safe fun Halloween and don’t forget to grab a coat on your way out.
Here are a few other great soup recipes from the blogosphere I think your family will enjoy!
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili by Good Life Eats
Here is a great variation for chili using sweet potatoes. A perfect autumn soup to keep you warm.
Recipe: Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped – except for a few matchsticks for garnish
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped finely – except for a few thinly sliced pieces for garnish
- 1 cup cooked chicken meat, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (if you like it less spicy, just use 1 tablespoon)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 13.5 oz can Asian coconut milk or cream (unsweetened)
- 21 oz chicken broth (roughly 1.5 cans - I like Swansons brand)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons fish sauce and a few sprigs of cilantro
Note:Reserve some of the coconut milk, carrots, and red bell pepper (and cilantro) for optional garnish.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil on medium heat and cook chopped onions, carrots, and red bell pepper for approximately 5 minutes. Add curry paste, brown sugar, chicken, rice, and fish sauce stirring and sauteing everything until curry paste is completely incorporated (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Pour chicken broth and coconut milk into the pan and give it a good stir for a half minute. Reduce heat to medium and allow the soup to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with a spoonful of coconut milk added on top with a few matchstick carrots and a slice of red bell pepper for garnish. Enjoy!