One of the greatest gifts we can give our children are words of encouragement to strengthen their inner being. Words have power to lift someone up and bring them down. Kids understand this principle very well.
My kids love hearing or reading words of encouragement from me. They can never get enough and I can tell how much it builds them up. Sometimes I like to write little notes to my daughters and hide them in their lunch bags. My oldest daughter (Abbi) loves receiving these notes and often tells me when she gets home from school how nice it was to read it.
A fun and creative way to brighten up someone’s day is to give them a homemade fortune cookie with an encouraging message inside. The message itself can be anything you want it to be such as humorous, motivational, or character qualities you admire.
Here’s a simple recipe for homemade fortune cookies the whole family can make together.
Recipe: Fortune Cookie Recipe
Try your luck with these homemade fortune cookies.
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 6 Encouragement strips 4″ x 1/2″
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and coat a cookie sheet with non stick spray.
- In a small bowl mix the egg white and vanilla until foamy but not stiff.
- Add flour, salt, sugar, and water to the bowl and mix until completely incorporated.
- Drop one tablespoon of batter unto cookie sheet. Using the back of a spoon, make circular motions on top of the batter until you get a 3.5″ circle. Make sure batter is as even as possible.
- Bake cookies for 7 minutes until edges turn golden brown.