Recipe: Vegetarian Udon
Consider this savory udon soup as a form of Japanese comfort food.
- 1 lb. frozen or fresh Udon noodles prepared according to package directions
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup medium tofu, cubed
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Bring broth, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar to a boil for one minute and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add tofu, broccoli, carrots, spinach, mushrooms and cook for three minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Divide Udon between four bowls with a pinch of sesame seeds on top.