Recipe: Blueberry Lemon Muffins
The batter for this blueberry muffin is infused with lemon juice and zest, a tart and complimentary flavor to the bursts of sweetness of blueberries.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- *optional 1/4 cup turbinado sugar/sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream sugar, butter, oil, and lemon zest for 3 minutes until light in color and creamy on medium speed using a mixer. Add sour cream, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract beating for 2 minutes. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt gently mixing everything for an additional minute until everything is fully incorporated, approximately 2 minutes. Batter will be nice and thick. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cups and pour batter 3/4 full into each muffin cup. For prettier muffins, top each muffin with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar or sugar crystals. Bake for 12 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for an additional 12-15 minutes or until the center of the muffins springs back when touched.