We are having the most unusual weather this summer in Seattle. As the rest of the country is experiencing a heat wave, the weather here has been living up to its reputation with gray, rainy, and mildly cool days. Despite our dreary summer I’m still cooking dishes as if it were sunny.
One of my favorite summer dishes is this recipe for Cold Asian Noodle Salad. I make it with whole grain (protein) spaghetti noodles and vegetables. With the help of a food processor or blender making the dressing is a breeze. The only work involved is cutting a few vegetables and boiling pasta. This vegetarian dish is a great summer meal that both kids and adults love. I especially love bringing this dish to the park, it always satisfies everyone.
If you’re a carnivore who has to eat a little meat with each meal feel free to added cooked chicken or shrimp. You can also add any other vegetables you have on hand such as tomatoes, snap peas, juilienned carrots, bean sprouts, and spinach. Enjoy!
If you don’t have a blender/food processor, whisk all the ingredients in a bowl, but remember to mince the garlic and ginger first.
Feel free to add other ingredients such as cooked chicken, shrimp, toasted peanuts, bean sprouts, julienned carrots, spinach, snap peas, or other vegetables.
Recipe: Cold Asian Noodle Salad
A great Asian Noodle Salad the whole family will love!
- 1 pound whole grain spaghetti
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and cut in half vertically, and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, and thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, sliced vertically
- In a large pot, cook (al dente) the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a blender or food processor, blend the vegetable oil, peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, garlic, and ginger until smooth. Mix in the sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
- When the spaghetti is ready, toss the noodles with the dressing. Add the bell peppers, cucumbers, and green onions. Refrigerate the pasta until cold before serving.