When I was a young girl I loved baking brownies from box mixes that my mother would occasionally buy. The instructions on the back of the box were straightforward and simple. Mix the dry mix with a couple eggs, vegetable oil, and some water. Pour the batter into a prepared pan and bake. My efforts were rewarded with a pan of fudge brownies in under an hour, which made me feel like I had accomplished something really great. Not bad for being only nine years old.
Fast forward to today and I’m still baking brownies from a mix. But this time the boxed mix isn’t a box at all. In fact, it’s a sealed bag of homemade DIY brownie mix I pre-make using the same method as the commercial mixes. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, stir, and bake.
It only takes a few minutes to pour all the dry ingredients into a ziplock bag. I seal the bag and label it with instructions to make and bake the brownies in the future, just like the boxed mixes.
Brownies don’t always need to come from a box to be convenient and good. Instead, kids and parents can feel great about baking from scratch without a lot of fuss.
My kids love helping me pour ingredients into bags, and later preparing batter. This is a great activity the whole family can do together, and it also satisfies the sweet tooth.
Recipe: Homemade DIY Brownie Mix
Summary: Make your own brownie mix
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a gallon-sized ziplock bag, add the flour, chocolate chips, white and brown sugars, cocoa powdered, baking soda, and salt. Seal the bag.
- Write directly on the bag: DIY Brownie Mix.
- Instructions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 pan for thin brownies or a 9×9 pan for thick brownies. In a large bowl whisk 1/2 cup hot water, 1/3 cup oil, 2 eggs, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract together until well combined. Add the brownie mix to the wet ingredients. Mix the ingredients until the batter is smooth but thick and all the dry ingredients have been mixed in. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes until done. Allow the brownies to cool before cutting into squares.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12