When I married my husband, I was determined to teach myself how to cook (and bake) from scratch more, and from cans and boxes less. Over the years this determination grew even more once I became a mother.
My desire to cook most things homemade has always been rooted in a desire to create memories and traditions for my family, not by food politics or popular movements.
I want to create familiar recipes my children will look forward to around certain holidays or on any given Sunday morning. When my children move away from home and start their own families, I want them to look back fondly to the recipes of their childhood and remember the times we spent together – even long after I’m gone.
Today’s recipe for Sour Cream Pancakes is special to me. Everyone in our family, as well as our friends, loves this recipe. The pancakes are fluffy and melt-in-your mouth. They are superior to any box mix you can buy off the store shelf.
If you’ve ever been hesitant to make your family homemade pancakes, this easy recipe will win you and your family over.
*Note: In my opinion, the secret to perfect pancakes is the smoothness of the batter. If you have a blender, mix the wet ingredients in the blender on a medium low speed. Slowly add the dry ingredients until you have smooth and lump free batter. Using a 1/3 measuring cup to make the perfect sized pancakes with a uniform size.
Recipe: Sour Cream Pancakes
Fluffy Homemade Sour Cream Pancakes
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whisk the milk, sour cream, eggs, butter, and vanilla until well mixed. Tip: Use a blender on medium-low speed to make the most smoothest batter.
- Stir in the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until the dry ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and coat it with non-stick spray.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the pancake batter onto the pan. Watch for the pancake to form bubbles and the griddle side of the pancake golden, just under one minute.
- Gently flip the pancake over and cook for 30 seconds or until golden.
- Spray non-stick spray between cooking new pancakes.
- Serve immediately.