Recipe: Microwave Baked Apples
Making baked apples in the microwave is so quick and easy that you can treat yourself anytime.
- 3 Fuji or Gala apples (or variety of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp. raisins
- 3 Tbsp. granulated brown sugar
- 3/8 tsp. cinnamon, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup water
- ¾ cup low fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (optional)
- Core the apples, removing all the seeds, and peel the top 1/2-inch of the apple. In the core of each apple, put the 1/3 of the raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter, and pack it down with your thumb.
- Put the water in the bottom of a flat microwave-safe dish with sides, and put the apples right side up, in the middle of the dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, leaving a small space for air to escape. Microwave the apples on full power for 5 - 6 minutes, or until they are fragrant and soft to the touch (microwave oven cooking times vary). (Cook the liquid in the bottom of the dish an additional 2 – 3 minutes to thicken it, if desired.)
- Remove the apples from the microwave, put them in small bowls, and pour a little liquid from the bottom of the dish over each apple. Serve them hot, topped with the ice cream or yogurt, if desired.