Our Christmas tree is decorated, the garland is hung in beautiful swags and the bright warm yellow lights are almost strung across our house. We are in the holiday spirit and baking cookies is definitely a seasonal tradition of ours.
It has been my observation over the years that during the holidays people tend to bake less everyday type cookies, like chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin, and instead bake a wide variety of cookies that range from from peanut butter kiss cookies to elaborately decorated gingerbread cookies.
One of my favorite go-to cookies to make this time of year is made with a surprising uncommon ingredient for making cookies – saltine crackers. Salty crackers balances out the sweetness in these Almond Chocolate Toffee cookies in a very delightful way. Similar in taste to popular holiday candy Almond Roca, these cookies ALWAYS disappear quickly.
If you’re looking to add another cookie to your holiday baking, this is a must-make!
Related Link: How to Host a Holiday Cookie Exchange
Recipe: Almond Chocolate Toffee
A yummy toffee cookie made with chocolate, almonds, toffee, and saltine crackers.
- 1 sleeve of saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a rimmed cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- Line the crackers on the cookie sheet side by side.
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a medium pan on medium-high heat. Stirring often, heat the mixture for about 3-5 minutes until it turns into a nice caramel looking sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the crackers until they are completely covered.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the toffee covered crackers. The chocolate will begin to melt. Spread chocolate over the toffee mixture and top with nuts.
- Allow the crackers to completely cool before breaking toffee up in pieces. Enjoy!