Have you ever tried making or eating pierogies?
Recipe: Potato and Cheese Pierogies with Sausage and Cabbage
A hearty meal that takes little effort.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow or red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage, halved and thinly sliced
- 12 – 14 oz. turkey, chicken, beef or vegetarian smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 16 oz. frozen potato and cheese pierogies, or any variety
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream or Greek yogurt, for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cabbage and sauté them, stirring occasionally, until they are tender and starting to brown, about 15 minutes. Add the sausage and continue cooking everything for about 10 more minutes until the sausage is hot and browned. Add the vinegar and salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
- After the cabbage and onions have cooked for about 15 minutes, heat another large skillet over medium heat and add the remaining oil and the butter. When the butter starts to bubble, add the frozen pierogies in a single layer. Cook them on each side until they are golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Add the pierogies to the sausage and cabbage mixture and heat them all together for a minute or two before serving. Serve it topped with sour cream or yogurt, if desired.