Recipe: Chicken (or Meatless) Tortilla Soup
A quick and easy soup recipe.
- 10 oz. mild or spicy enchilada sauce
- 15 oz reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 15 oz. canned corn kernels or creamed corn, with their liquid
- 15 oz. canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, diced (about 1 1/2 cups total)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast or extra-firm tofu (optional), diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional for serving)
- 1 cup tortilla chips, for serving (use the broken chips from the bottom of the bag)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional for serving)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (optional for serving)
- 1/2 lime, cut into wedges (optional for serving)
- 1/4 white onion, diced (optional for serving)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional for serving)
- In a medium stockpot over medium heat, combine the enchilada sauce, broth, corn, beans, tomatoes and chicken or tofu (optional). Stir to combine and heat through to just below boiling. (At this point you can proceed with the recipe or refrigerate it for up to 2 days.)
- Meanwhile, put the cheese, chips, and other optional toppings in small serving bowls at the table.
- Serve the soup hot, stirring in whatever toppings you like from the list above, at the table.