What happens when you give a mom beets? She roasts them! But, what happens when her kids won’t eat roasted beets? The mom gets creative and makes baked beet chips – and her children love her for it. Okay, “love” might be a bit strong, but my kids do like these baked golden beets I make them for a snack.
As I was cleaning out my refrigerator I found some golden beets that I had bought the week before. Instead of roasting them, I decided to slice them very thin with a mandoline and make a healthy snack. Similar to those expensive gourmet vegetable chips you buy at the store, these baked beet chips will not only save you money but you’ll feel great making these with and for your kids.
Inviting your kids in the kitchen to cook with you is a great way to encourage them to grow in their culinary skills. Parents should do the cutting but kids can place the vegetable slices on the baking sheet and lightly season the slices with salt. With picky kids you might be surprised by how open they can be to trying foods if they help prepare it.
This recipe is adapted and inspired by a wonderful food blog I follow called “A Cozy Kitchen.” Here is the link to the original recipe. Enjoy!
PS: Yesterday I made a big announcement on my blog regarding a project that is near and dear to my heart. I wrote a cookbook based on my blog, Savory Sweet Life. Here’s a link to the announcement about the cookbook and the journey of writing it.
Recipe: Baked Beet Chips
A healthy snack recipe for baked beet chips.
- 2 medium beets
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel the beets and slice them paper thin with a mandoline or vegetable peeler.
- Line a large baking sheet (or 2 smaller ones) with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay the beet slices in a single layer.
- Lightly spray the beets with with non-stick cooking spray and season lightly with salt. Place another baking sheet on top of the chips. This will help the shape of the chips to remain flat.
- Bake the chips for 15 minutes.
- Remove the top baking sheet and bake the beet chips uncovered for 10-15 minutes until dried and crisp.
- Remove the chips from the baking sheet and serve.