Recipe: Ham Kale Bean Soup
A delicious variation of the classic ham and bean soup using kale.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 - 32 oz. box chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry sherry or white wine (optional)
- 1 chicken flavored bouillon cube
- 1 - 15 oz. can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large gold potato, scrubbed and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 4 cups chopped kale
- salt and apper
- optional: sour cream
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and heat on medium heat.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, cumin, and coriander for 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the ham and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in the the chicken broth. Add the sherry and bouillon cube. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil.
- Stir in the beans and potato. Reduce the heat to medium and cover the pot with a lid.
- Cook the soup for 15 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the kale. Allow the soup to rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Optional: Add a dollop of sour cream over each bowl of soup.