Some people are baffled by how to cut a mango because of the smooth skin and large oblong pit in the center. Here is my favorite method: Stand the mango on its end and slice each of the halves off as close to the oblong pit as possible. Using a small, sharp knife, score the flesh into strips or squares, turn the skin inside out, and cut the flesh off of the peel. For more techniques and ideas, I love the resources from the National Mango Board.
If you are feeling stuck in the same old routine, be adventurous and try a new fruit this season. For some more truly exotic fruit ideas, you and your kids might enjoy looking at some of these unusual fruits from around the world.
What is your children’s favorite exotic fruit?
Recipe: Honey-Glazed Chicken with Mango Salsa
Use an exotic fruit to make a delicious meal that children will love.
- 3 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 2 1/3 Tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. minced garlic (about 1 clove)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half crosswise (the short way)
- 1 large mango, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ lime, juice only, about 1 Tbsp.
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the broiler and put the oven rack 3 – 4 inches from the heating element. Spray a broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, 2 Tbsp. honey, the garlic and ginger. Remove 2 Tbsp. of the mixture and set it aside. Add the chicken to the bowl with the sauce and turn it until it is coated. Place the chicken on the broiling pan and cook it for 5 minutes until it turns golden. Flip the chicken and spoon the reserved sauce over the top. Broil it for about 5 more minutes until it is cooked through (the chicken should no longer be pink in the middle or its internal temperature should be 165 degrees.) Remove it from the oven.
- Meanwhile, in a medium serving bowl, gently toss together the mango, cilantro, lime juice, 1 tsp. honey, and crushed red pepper flakes (optional). Serve the chicken topped with the mango salsa.