My oldest daughter reminded me this morning that today was field day at school, but it wasn’t until I received a phone call by another parent that it dawned on that in two days school is out for summer. The family routine I had been accustomed to and have grown to depend on is drastically going to change. It isn’t that I dread summer vacation, it’s the fact that as a mom who always seems to have a million things on her plate, I hadn’t given much thought to having the next couple months off.
The funny thing is I’ve been looking forward to summer to not having to shuttle my kids to school in the morning and the anticipation of watching Eli play on his first T-Ball team grows with each passing day. A family vacation in Lake Chelan is scheduled for August and yet I’m confused how the end of June snuck up on me so quickly. My mind is still stuck in April somewhere.
To quickly get me in a summer frame of mind I enjoyed these Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Bites with the kids after school today. One bite into these cold chocolate treats seemed to erase all my confusion about where we are in the calendar. Mmmm, yes, summer is here.
Easy to make and a fantastic recipe for kids to help with, the whole family will love these bite sized frozen treats all summer long.
As for me, I’m ready to watch some very adorable T-ball players chase a ball around for the next eight weeks as I slow down and enjoy hanging out at the park. Until, that is, someone wakes me up early Fall to the fact that school is about to start again.
Recipe: Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Bites
A healthy chocolate frozen dessert treat
- 2 medium (ripe but firm) bananas
- 1/2 cup (dark, milk, or semi-sweet) chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (found in the health food section at most grocery stores)
- Optional toppings: chopped nuts, granola, sprinkles, or coconut
- Cut each banana in four equal pieces.
- Insert a toothpick into each piece three-quarter of the way through.
- Place the bananas on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Freeze the bananas chunks for 60 minutes.
- Once the bananas are frozen, melt the chocolate in a microwave safe mug for 45 seconds. Stir the chocolate and microwave again in 15 second increments until smooth. Stir in the coconut oil.
- Remove the bananas from the freezer and dip each piece into the chocolate, rotating the banana until it is completely coated.
- Tilt the banana down at a 45 degree angle over the chocolate and allow any excess chocolate to drip off.
- To coat the banana chunks in topping, sprinkle either nuts, granola, sprinkles, or coconut evenly over each chunk.
- Place the bananas back on the baking sheet and freeze for an additional 15 minutes before serving.