I am a sucker for a great dip or spread. I love to combine healthy and flavorful ingredients to create something my family can dip our vegetables, bread or crackers into, spread on our sandwiches or drizzle on our meat.
One of my favorites is creamy Greek tzatziki dip. It’s a wonderful, healthy all purpose dip with a light and creamy flavor. One of the secrets to a great tzatziki dip or sauce is to use thick yogurt, such as Greek yogurt, and to dry the shredded cucumbers well before adding them to the dip so it doesn’t get watery. Your kids may enjoy helping you shred the cucumbers, juice the lemon, and stir it all together.
Here are some other dip ideas from PBS Parents Kitchen Explorers that you will love:
- Edamame Avocado Wasabi Dip
- Queso (cheese) Dip
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Dip
- Creamy Feta and Roasted Red Pepper Dip
Recipe: Greek Tzatziki Dip
A delicious yogurt-based dip
- 1 cup nonfat or low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and grated, and squeezed dry with a clean towel (1/2 cup total)
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, (about 1 clove)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh or dried dill, minced
- 1/4 lemon, juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the Greek yogurt, cucumber, fresh or dried dill, lemon juice, garlic, honey, and olive oil. Make it up to 1 day in advance, and refrigerate the mixture until you are ready to use it.