Recipe: Breakfast Burritos
Served with jarred salsa, this breakfast burrito is a great recipe to add to your family's breakfast repertoire.
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced in small pieces
- ½ green bell pepper, diced in small pieces
- 1 chicken sausage, diced in small pieces
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- 6 tablespoons shredded cheese
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium high heat and coat with non-stick spray.
- Sauté the onion, bell pepper, and sausage for 5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add the eggs.
- Using a wooden spoon, gently stir the eggs occasionally from the outer edge towards the center until the eggs are cooked yet slightly wet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat. Transfer the egg mixture to a plate.
- Carefully but quickly, rinse, clean, and dry the pan and return to the burner.
- Lay the tortillas on a cutting board.
- Evenly divide the cheese among the four tortillas and sprinkle the cheese down the center of each one.
- Evenly divide the egg mixture among the tortillas and spoon the eggs down the center of each tortilla on top of the cheese.
- Fold the top and bottom edge approximately one inch of each tortilla down/up towards the center.
- Starting from the left side and moving to the right, roll the tortilla tightly to form the burrito.
- Heat the skillet on medium heat and coat with non-stick spray.
- Carefully lift each breakfast burrito and place it in the pan with the edge side down.
- Cook for approximately 20-30 seconds until the tortilla is crispy and golden brown. Flip the burrito and do the same on the other side.
- Serve the burritos immediately with a side of salsa.