If you have a bushel of apples, you may also enjoy these recipes:
Please share your favorite apple recipes or apple picking memories below.
Recipe: Hot Turkey, Cheddar and Apple Melts
A perfect fall recipe.
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, softened, or brush on olive oil, if preferred
- 8 oz. reduced-sodium sliced turkey or Tofurky
- 4 slices Cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 1 – 2 apples, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp. cranberry sauce, honey mustard, fig or apricot jam (optional)
- On one side of each piece of bread, spread a thin layer of butter or margarine. On the non-buttered side of 4 slices of the bread, layer 2 - 3 slices of turkey, 1 slice of cheese, a few slices of apple, and about 1 tsp. of cranberry sauce or other spread, if desired. Press the top half of each sandwich on so the buttered sides of both pieces of bread are on the outside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or grill pan (or a Panini press, if you have one) over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches on both sides, pressing them down with a spatula, foil-wrapped brick or heavy pot, until the outsides are nicely browned, 3 - 5 minutes per side. Remove them from the pan and slice the sandwiches on the diagonal to serve.