Recipe: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cornmeal Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 4 eggs
- 15 oz. canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat two muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate chips and beat just until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full with the batter, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean (a little under-baked is good).
- Let cool and serve immediately, or store tightly covered for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 6 months.