When I was a kid, my mom usually made a delicious meal every night, but if my parents were going out, it was a special treat to have frozen fish sticks for dinner. I loved to eat them piping hot, dunked in thick tartar sauce and ketchup. My kids never took to frozen fish sticks, but they love my homemade pan-fried fish sticks.
Most store-bought fish sticks are tasty, but full of fat and additives. This healthy homemade version is almost as easy as heating frozen fish sticks, and you’ll feel even better about serving it.
You might also like to make homemade versions of these kid-favorites like homemade chicken nuggets and baked French fries from Kitchen Explorers:
Recipe: Pan Fried Fish Sticks
Healthy Homemade Fish Sticks
- 1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs (mix in 1 tsp. Old Bay or Cajun seasoning, if desired)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 –2 lbs. sole, flounder, or other white fish fillets, cut in wide strips
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 lemon, juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 1/2 cup tartar sauce or cocktail sauce, for serving (optional)
- In a shallow bowl or plate, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. In another shallow bowl, beat the egg. Dip each piece of fish in the egg, let the excess drip off, and roll the fish in the bread crumb mixture. Set it aside on a plate.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. When the butter is bubbling, place the fish in the pan. Cook one side of the fish until it is brown, 2-3 minutes. Squeeze 1 Tbsp. lemon juice over the fish and cook it for another minute. Carefully flip the fish, adding the second Tbsp. of butter if needed, and repeat the process for the second side, cooking it for 2-3 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. Serve it with tartar or cocktail sauce, if desired.
- To make your own tartar and cocktail sauce, combine a dollop of mayonnaise with a spoonful of sweet relish and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. For cocktail sauce, combine a dollop of ketchup with a little creamy horseradish, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice.