Sometimes the best tasting treats are the simplest ones to make. Last week I shared with you my quick and Easy 2-Ingredient Holiday Chocolate Bark recipe using melted chocolate chips and your favorite trail mix. This week I would like to share with you a similar type of recipe which is an oldie but goodie.
This recipe for Pretzel Turtles is a holiday classic that often makes appearances at cookie swaps everywhere this time of year. Made with just three ingredients of chocolate covered caramels, mini pretzels, and pecan halves, these semi-homemade sweet and salty candies are always a crowd pleaser and disappear quickly. Best of all, preschool aged children can make these in under 10 minutes with a little bit of help from an adult. It’s the perfect holiday candy project kids will love making and everyone will love eating. Enjoy!
Little hands love to help in the kitchen, especially my son Eli. He loves to line up all the pretzels by himself.
Placing a caramel on top of each pretzel is a great learning opportunity to count each one out loud.
My nephew Ben loved assembling our holiday chocolate treats with Eli.
Do not worry if the caramels aren’t centered perfectly on top of each pretzel. After a pecan is added to each one, the chocolate caramel center can be adjusted as you press down on the pecan.
I recommend adults to press the pecans down on each caramel topped pretzel because of the hot baking pan.
If you want to get really fancy, try drizzling either regular or white chocolate over the turtles.
From start to finish, these 10 minute Pretzel Turtles is one of my most favorite holiday treats to make.
Recipe: Chocolate Pretzel Turtles
Easy Pretzel Turtles recipe. Made in under 10 minutes from start to finish, this 3-ingredients recipe is always a hit!
- 24 chocolate covered caramels such as (unwrapped) Rolos or Milk Duds
- 24 pecan halves
- Optional finishing touch: 3 tablespoons white or regular chocolate chips
24 mini pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Lay the pretzels on top of the baking sheet in a single layer
- Place a caramel on top of each pretzel, centered
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and “bake” for 3 to 4 minutes -just enough time for the caramels to soften.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and carefully but quickly place a pecan halve on top of each caramel and press down so the pecan almost touches the pretzel.
- Allow the pretzel caramels to completely cool before serving.
- Optional touch: If you want to add a bit of flair to each turtle, melt the chocolate chips in a small microwave safe container in the microwave for 60 seconds. Stir the chocolate chips and heat the chocolate in the microwave again for 30 seconds if necessary. Dip a fork in the chocolate and drizzle the chocolate over each turtle. Allow the chocolate to harden before serving or packaging.