With Easter approaching and Mother’s Day the month after, I thought I would share one of my favorite breakfast dishes with you. An elevated version of a staple breakfast classic, this Fruit and Yogurt Cream French Toast is really good. So good, in fact, it would make a great addition to your holiday brunch with family and friends.
Made from a loaf of French bread, each thick slice is filled with a mixture of low sugar fruit spread, thick non-fat Greek yogurt, cream-cheese, and fresh fruit. Dipped in a cinnamon egg milk batter, each piece is fried until golden brown. You could serve it as is, but to take it up another notch doesn’t require much more effort. Just add a few sliced almonds, a dusting of powdered sugar, and finish it all off with a light drizzle of maple syrup with a few berries to garnish.
Who knew French toast could be this good? Enjoy!
Recipe: Fruit and Yogurt Cream Stuffed French Toast
A delicious stuffed French toast with berries and a cream filling made from non-fat cream cheese and Greek yogurt. Dusted with powdered sugar, fresh berries, slivered almonds, and a drizzle of maple syrup, this breakfast is spectacular!
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into twelve 1-1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 oz. non-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup low-sugar mixed-berry fruit spread
- 2 cups fresh mixed berries
- non-stick spray
- optional: 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Make a deep center cut approximately 2-inches at the bottom of each slice to form a pocket.
- In a flat bottom container, beat the milk, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Using a mixer or by hand, beat the cream cheese and yogurt together until well combined and smooth.
- Stir in the fruit spread.
- Spoon nearly 2 tablespoons of the fruit cream filling inside the pocket of each slice.
- Gently insert several fresh berries, but leaving enough room for the mouth of the pocket to be pressed nearly closed.
- Preheat a non-stick pan on medium heat and coat with cooking spray. One at a time, dip each side of the slice into the egg mixture until it is fully coated. Immediately transfer the egg-soaked slice to the skillet.
- Continue to do this for as many slices that will comfortably fit into the pan.
- Cook each side until golden brown and not wet. You should be able to touch the bread and feel a thin cooked layer.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the layers.
- To plate the French toast, cut each slice in half diagonally and slightly stack one half and top of the other.
- Top the French toast off with more berries.
- To beautify the plate, dust the French toast with powdered sugar, sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of almonds over the top, and drizzle the slices with maple syrup.
- Serve immediately.