The finger-licking spices from a barbeque flavored potato chip is a special treat usually enjoyed during large picnics or other social gatherings. Although I typically do not purchase these chips as a regular snack for our family, I not-so-secretly love to eat them when I’m at a party. I find the seasonings to be the perfect balance of salty-sweet and spice. The flavoring on those chips is a guilty pleasure I indulge in from time to time.
Using those potato chips as inspiration, I’ve put together a barbeque spice blend to season air-popped popcorn with. Instead of using butter to help the seasonings adhere to the kernels, I prefer to use grape seed oil for its light, clean, neutral taste. It is also a great source of polyunsaturated fat.
If you’re looking for a tasty snack to make at home, this recipe would make a great project for you and your children to make together in the kitchen. Feel free to add a little more or less of any of the spices listed to make your own unique blend of barbeque flavoring.
Lastly, this recipe is a great one to serve family and friends with wheat, egg, dairy, soy, and nut allergies. Enjoy!
Recipe: BBQ Flavored Popcorn
A simple but tasty recipe for BBQ Popcorn. Like your favorite flavored potato chips, this zesty snack makes a great quick and easy appetizer or treat the whole family will love.
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic salt, smoked paprika, sugar, onion powder, chili powder, table salt, and mustard until evenly combined.
- Using an air popper, pop the corn kernels into a large bowl.
- Drizzle the oil over the popcorn, shaking the bowl gently to evenly distribute the oil over all the pieces.
- Shake some of the spices over the popcorn and gently shake the bowl again. Repeat this a couple more times until the seasonings are all used up and evenly distributed.
- Serve immediately.