Have you heard about PEG + CAT, PBS KIDS’ newest preschool series, airing October 7th? The show follows a little girl named Peg and her BFF (best feline friend) Cat as they go on amusing adventures together. With a focus on math and problem solving, the show engages preschoolers in a way that is fun and entertaining. Like other PBS KIDS’ programs, young minds will learn foundational math concepts that build over time with each new episode without realizing they are learning math!
I am excited to share with you a wonderful partnership between PBS KIDS and Whole Foods. Together they are bringing healthy recipes to your family table. With a dedicated PEG+ CAT Healthy Kids site, parents and their children will be able to access recipes, tips, games, and activities. This interactive site will assist and motivate kids in making healthier choices while they are young and as they are growing older.
In honor of Peg + Cat’s upcoming premiere, I am sharing one of my most favorite ways to enjoy cauliflower. By using a cheese grater or food processor to make grain (rice) sized pieces, making cauliflower rice is a cinch. Seasoned with a little bit of sauteed garlic and fresh herbs, this dish is surprisingly satisfying. It is a hit in our home and I hope it becomes a hit in yours too.
Recipe: Herbed Garlic Cauliflower Rice
A healthy cauliflower side dish flavored with fresh herbs and salt and pepper.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (any combination: cilantro, parsley, basil, oregano, sage, thyme)
- Grate the cauliflower florets or pulse in a food processor until it resembles rice.
- Place the grated cauliflower and water in a microwave-safe covered dish.
- Cook cauliflower in microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large saute pan.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the riced cauliflower and cook for 3-5 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from heat and fold in the fresh herbs before serving.