Some nights I wish I could zip away with my family to Italy and indulge in their endless pasta and pizza fare. But when a plane ride and passports feel a little out of reach (most nights), at least I can roll up my selves and make something Italiano for everyone to enjoy.
Lasagna with fresh tomatoes and basil is a perfect dish to start off the new year. It’s healthy but still substantial enough to feed the family. I like using homemade lasagna noodles. They make each bite taste fresh, silky, and smooth — perfect for even my littlest one! Homemade pasta is also a lot easier than people think, but never fear, dried lasagna noodles will work perfectly well too! I also love using fresh tomatoes. They add a subtle sweetness while making everything feel and taste really light. A little tip, if you’re making this when tomatoes aren’t in season, sprinkle some sugar into the pot while the sauce cooks. This will really enhance the flavor. If you’re looking to make this dish even lighter, swap out the cheese for light ricotta and part skim mozzarella.
This lasagna is a tasty treat that will bring a little bit of Italy to your kitchen every time you pop it into the oven! No customs necessary.
You can find more of Patricia’s recipes on her YouTube channel, Farm to Table Family. The video series focuses on bringing the family together through healthy, tasty and beautiful foods. The recipes are modern takes on traditional favorites inspired by the finest and freshest seasonal ingredients. Patricia is also the founder of Farm to Table Baby Mama, a site that provides babies and children with delicious foods that are fresh, tasty, organic and made with love.
Recipe: Lasagna with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil
Bring a little bit of Italy into your kitchen with this lovely lasagna!
- 3 shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 7 cups chopped tomato
- 2/3 cup fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 cooked lasagna noodles
- 3/4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat the over to 375F.
- Slice 4 garlic cloves.
- Chop 3 shallots.
- Chop 7 cups of tomatoes.
- Drizzle olive oil into pot and cook garlic and then shallots for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1.5 hrs or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Sprinkle in 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Taste to check. If tomatoes aren't in season (summertime) add a little sugar to the sauce while it cooks. Stir in 2/3 cup basil.
- Heat 2 cups of ricotta. Add 1 cup mozzarella. Cook and stir until melted.
- Add 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
- Drizzle baking dish with olive oil.
- Layer the lasagna. Start with one layer of sauce, followed by one layer of pasta noodles, then spread ricotta and mozzarella. Repeat twice. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese. The more the better!
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes, then enjoy!