If you want to surprise your kids (or anyone for that matter) with a super fun, creative, and playful breakfast, yet spend very little time having to actually prepare it, then I have just the recipe for you!
I’ve been using store-bought flat pita bread for years to make single serving sized pizzas. They are the perfect size and texture, and the base will hold the weight of toppings. I usually have a bag of them in my freezer and use them as part of an emergency meal when I need one in a pinch. One morning I had the thought to make a breakfast pizza for my kids using eggs, a couple slices of bacon, a small sprinkle of cheese, and a pinch of thinly sliced scallions. They turned out better than I expected. In fact, they were pretty darn good. Good enough that I’ve served guests this meal knowing they will love it.
The pizzas only take a couple of minutes to pull together and bake for less than 10 minutes. I encourage you to watch our latest episode of Kitchen Explorers above to see just how easy these gourmet breakfast pizzas are to make. I hope you’ll be inspired to make them for your kids too.
Recipe: Breakfast Pizza
A satisfying breakfast pizza made with thick pita bread, bacon, fried runny egg, cheese, and topped off with scallions. A quick and easy breakfast pizza recipe the whole family will love!
- olive oil
- 4 pieces - whole wheat flat bread (not to be mistaken for pita pockets)
- 4 ounces shredded Italian blend cheese (Mozzarella, Parmesan, Provolone)
- 8 pieces bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley or green scallions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Brush olive oil on each side of the flat bread.
- Place pita on baking sheets and sprinkle cheese evenly between the four pieces.
- Place four bacon halves on each pita around the outside perimeter. Crack an egg in the center of the pizza. Bake for 8 minutes. If the egg is still not completely cooked, place each baking sheet under the broiler on the low setting. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until egg whites are no longer runny - make sure to leave the door crack and check for doneness.
Variations: Substitute bacon for crumbled sausage, ham, or vegetarian meat substitute. Add other toppings such as sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, and olives.