I have a great recipe that is not only a delicious dish, it is ridiculously easy to prepare. By grilling romaine lettuce with a little bit of olive oil, it transforms raw ordinary lettuce into a heartier and smokier version of itself. It also compliments all the BLT elements of the salad as well as the avocado and seasoned croutons. It is a dish often offered on restaurant menus, and making it at home is just as good – and in this case even better.
Expand your food options for grilling this summer. It is satisfying enough to be the main dish for a meal, but can also serve as a glorious side salad along with a nice protein dish like this marinated grilled chicken recipe.
Recipe: Grilled BLT Salad
Charred BLT Salad Recipe, made with bacon, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, seasoned croutons, and a mayonnaise based salad dressing.
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomato halves
- 1 cup cooked largely diced bacon
- 1 cup seasoned croutons
- 1 medium avocado, skin and pit removed, and diced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat the grill on medium high.
- Brush the romaine lettuce with olive oil.
- Place the romaine lettuce on the grill, cut side down for 3 minutes, then flip it to the other side and grill for 3 minutes.
- Plate the lettuce.
- Top the grilled romaine lettuce with the tomatoes, bacon, croutons, and the avocado.
- Whisk the mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, garlic powder, and pepper together until smooth.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad.