For the love of summer, please don’t let strawberry season pass you by. Especially when they are at their peak and the whole berries are red from top to bottom bursting with sweet sun ripen flavor. The season is short lived, so if you don’t enjoy these seasonal bursts of natural flavor now you’ll have to wait until next summer to appreciate what they taste like. And that would be such a shame.
Strawberries are perfect to eat as a snack, but sometimes they are nice to enjoy in a dessert too. Strawberry rhubarb is best known as a pie filling but today I am sharing with you a recipe that uses them for compote. Compote is fruit cooked in simple sugar syrup, then seasoned with spices or a little bit of acidic fruit like lemon. It is used as a dessert component, and compliments everything from pancakes to ice cream sundaes.
In this recipe I’m adding a little bit of basil, which pairs surprisingly well with strawberry. I know it sounds weird, but trust me – it’s really good. In fact, you will often see strawberries and basil paired in many fine restaurants on their dessert menus.
Making compote is easy and is great as a component to the dessert I want to share with you. Using store bought pound cake we are essentially making shortcake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Without the added step of having to make the pound cake, this dessert can be pulled together rather quickly and is visually appealing impressing everyone who eats it.
You will need a grill or grill pan to prepare the cake to get those nice grill marks. Then, top each slice of cake with vanilla ice cream and the compote and you have yourself a very simple dessert that looks very fancy. When you serve this to dinner guests at your next party they will think you spent all day putting it together. Enjoy the accolades, you’ve earned them!
Recipe: Griilled Pound Cake with Strawberry Rhubarb Basil Compote
Griilled Pound Cake with Strawberry Rhubarb Basil Compote - Summer dessert recipe idea - Grill store bought pound cake and make this homemade strawberry rhubarb basil compote to top off each slice. Finished with a scoop of vanilla ice cream make this dessert a crowd favorite!
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups chopped strawberries, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1 store-bought loaf pound cake
- vanilla ice cream
Additional garnishes: fresh strawberries and FRESH (dried will not work) basil leaves
- Add the rhubarb and 1 cup of the strawberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice in a pan or pot.
- Stir the ingredients together with a wooden spoon and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the remaining strawberries.
- Heat a prepared grill on medium heat (grill pan works great).
- Slice pre-made loaf pound cake into 8 pieces.
- Spread a thin layer of butter on each side of every slice.
- Grill each side until lightly browned (times may vary depending on your grill).
- Arrange slices on 8 plates and top the cake with a couple generous spoonsfuls of compote.
- Finish the dessert off with a scoop of ice cream and an optional strawberry along with a basil leaf
Add the basil and cook the compote for 3-5 minutes longer until rhubarb is soft, stirring frequently.