Finding new and creative ways to prepare vegetables can be challenging, rewarding, and sometimes both. In my family, we often steam or grill vegetables and lightly season them with salt and pepper. However, once in a while I will step back from my evening dinner routine and surprise my family by preparing vegetables differently. For example: eggplant fries. And these aren’t your ordinary eggplant fries. These have a nice crispy, curry-seasoned outer shell and a soft center.
I discovered that if you soak cut eggplant in water for a couple of hours, the eggplant will soak up the water like a sponge. When you fry them, the eggplant doesn’t absorb the oil through its flesh but instead cooks the outside to a perfect golden brown finish.
The seasonings add another layer of flavor to the fries, which need no ketchup or any other dip. They are perfect on their own while still warm. Once they cool down, they aren’t as delicious, so serve them right away. This shouldn’t be a problem – in my experience they disappear quickly.
These fries are definitely a ‘once in a while’ treat for us. I hope they will become a ‘once in a while’ treat for you, too!
Recipe: Curry Eggplant Fries
Crispy eggplant fries seasoned with a crispy curry crust. These fries make a great appetizer and are a crowd favorite.
- 1 eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2" rounds, then into 1/2"-thick strips
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam marsala
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Kosher salt, if needed
- Add the cut eggplant to a large bowl filled with ice water (enough to cover the eggplant). Place a plate on top of the eggplant with a bowl on top of the plate to weigh it down. Chill for a couple of hours.
- Pour about 2 inches depth of oil into a large pot and heat on medium high.
- While the oil heats up, whisk the flour, curry powder, garam masala, and garlic salt.
- Working in small batches, coat the wet eggplant in the flour mixture then fry for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant fries to a paper towel and season with additional salt if needed.
- Serve immediately.