Cannon's California Rolls
Cannon Meiers, Age 8
“Cannon created this recipe because he loves eating fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains,” says Cannon’s mom, Amanda. “He couldn't always eat whole grains because of a rare food allergy that he's since outgrown. Cannon also has a very rare genetic disorder called Mosaic Trisomy 14 and Uniparental Disomy 14, so eating healthy and exercising is a top priority for us! Cannon has been making this recipe for a little over a year, changing things along the way. Living in California, we are so lucky to have a variety of fruits and veggies that are easily accessible.”
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 2 fresh lemons
- 1 ½ pounds chicken tenders
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup toasted sliced almonds
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas or thin, wide slices of cucumber
- In a large stockpot, combine 4 cups of water with ½ teaspoon salt and the juice from 1½ lemons. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and add the chicken. Cover with a lid, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Drain the water and shred the chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the avocado with the Greek yogurt. Add the almonds, raisins, apple, chia seeds, celery, green onions, and remaining lemon juice and salt. Add the chicken and mix well.
- Dividing evenly, spread the chicken mixture on a tortilla or in the cucumber slices and roll up. Slice the tortilla into bite-sized pieces or secure the cucumbers with a toothpick. Serve with grapes or your favorite fruit or veggie!
389 calories; 16g fat; 31g carbohydrates; 31g protein