Wisconsin Cranberry Chickpea Salad
Raya El-Hajjar, Age 8
“In my family we eat a lot of hummus, and lately I wanted to know where hummus comes from,” says Raya. “I read an article that said that the main ingredient in hummus is chickpeas. I discovered that chickpeas are really a super food and they are so tasty, too! In the summer, my brother and sister and I love to pick fresh vegetables from our backyard and we make different kinds of salads with them. So, for this salad we used our parsley and red and yellow peppers. Wisconsin is famous for cheese and cranberries. This is an easy, delicious salad that has all the nutrients you need!”
Makes 4 Servings
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 ounces feta, cubed
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpeas and parsley. Add the lemon juice, salt and olive oil and stir thoroughly to combine.
- On a large serving platter, arrange the chickpea salad, and add the red and yellow bell pepper slices around it. Sprinkle the feta and cranberries on top and enjoy with family or friends!!!
312 calories; 12g fat; 38g carbohydrates; 15g protein