What Am I?
architect, athlete, barber, dancer, doctor, inventor, meteorologist, musician, nurse, veterinarian
This acting game is like "Charades" but with talking allowed (and encouraged).
- Make your own vocabulary cards with the target words and, if you wish, a picture of the word.
- Go through the cards with the kids, introducing and discussing each word, then shuffle the cards and put them in a hat or bag.
- One person picks a vocabulary card and pretends to be that word. (If it's a kid who doesn't read, an extra grownup can whisper the word.) That person cannot say the name of the job aloud but must act it out. The other players have to guess what that person is.
You may want to add other profession words to your stack of vocabulary cards, including jobs done by family members and family friends.
- On the Town: A Community Adventureby Judith Caseley
Charlie draws pictures of the community helpers he sees when his mom takes him on a neighborhood walk.
- Community Helpers from A–Z by Bobbie Kalman
Meet the people who help make our communities better places to live.
- Guess Who? by Margaret Miller
This fun and challenging visual game helps children identify the jobs people do.