About the Author
The Martha Speaks TV show is based on the books written and illustrated by Susan Meddaugh. Susan grew up in New Jersey, studied art and illustration, and now lives in Massachusetts with her family — including her dogs of course. Martha was a real dog who lived with Susan and her family. One day, when Susan's son Niko (who was then 7) was eating alphabet soup, he wondered what would happen if they fed the soup to Martha. Would she talk? To find out more about Susan, watch the video!
Meet Susan Meddaugh!
Fun Facts About Susan Meddaugh:
- She thinks the Martha stories are popular because both kids and grownups wonder what their pets would say if they could talk.
- She usually starts a new story with one picture, adds more drawings and then writes the words to go with them.
- Creating picture books is hard work but Susan loves the chance to think like a kid and have fun.
- She loves drawing both people and animals, as long as she can really show their personality in the picture.
- Susan currently has three dogs, and while Martha and Skits have died, they live on in the books and TV series.
- Susan has written 6 books about Martha.