In the “The Red Balloon,” Coco asks Noah to buy a red balloon (“un globo rojo”) for her from a balloon vendor on the other side of a busy street. During the webisode, Noah learns the Spanish word for “red” and viewers have the opportunity to learn the Spanish words for an assortment of colors and vehicles. In this activity, your child will practice Spanish vocabulary in a fun memory card game and then demonstrate knowledge of Spanish terms in a color-by-number print activity.
Print out the Oh Noah! Memory Cards for “The Red Balloon” and cut out individual cards. Please note that the Memory Card Game should be printed on heavy paper if possible. Print out the Do You Know Your Colors?
What is your favorite color? What do you think is Coco’s favorite color? After watching “The Red Balloon,” tell your child that you are going play a fun Memory Game and then do a coloring activity and review some Spanish words.
To play the Noah Memory Card Game
Shuffle the Memory Cards for “The Red Balloon,” which include the Spanish words for colors and vehicles explored during the Match It challenges for the webisode. Cut out the individual cards, shuffle them, and lay them on a table, face down. During each turn, a player turns over two cards (one at a time). If the cards are a match, the player keeps those cards and it becomes the next player’s turn. When a player turns over two cards that do not match, those cards are turned face down again. The goal of the game is to collect the most number of matches.
To use the Do You Know Your Colors? sheet
After reviewing the Spanish words for colors and vehicles by playing the Memory Card Game, your child will be ready to complete this coloring activity.
Take It Further:
- Encourage your child to translate additional words using a Spanish/English dictionary or online at http://google.com/translate.
- Play Twister next family game night! Instead of calling out the colors in English, use the Spanish words.
- You can review all of the words from this webisode’s Match It challenges with “The Red Balloon” flashcards.
- Gather an assortment of magazine/newspaper advertisements for vehicles. Send your child on a scavenger hunt to find the following:
- un auto
- una camioneta
- un camión de bomberos
- una bicicleta
- un avión
- Print and play the Oh Noah! Memory Card Game for “The Red Balloon” to review the new words learned in this webisode. You can even challenge your child to create new memory cards with additional Spanish terms for colors and vehicles. Please note that the Memory Card Game should be printed on heavy paper if possible.
- Explore How Do you Say…? on the Oh Noah! website.
Related Video & Games:
- Match It: Colors
- Match It: Vehicles
- You Catch It, You Keep It: "The Red Balloon"
- Word Race: "The Red Balloon"