Here is a really cool printable PDF version of the instructions: PC_CatBeanie.
For those not-so-savvy sewers out there, in order to make this Cat Beanie you’ll need to sew, or at least be willing to try. But before you start “totally freaking out,” take a deep breath and count backwards from 5. Cat is just a squishy blob. Whatever you make will be great!
- Printable template (below)
- 1 bluish purple sock (any shade will do, but an adult-sized sock works best)
- 1 sheet of gray felt
- 1 sheet of blue felt
- 1 sheet of white felt
- 1 sheet of black felt (scraps would work)
- Sewing needle
- Blue, gray, and black thread
- Gray embroidery floss OR gray puffy paint (simpler option to create Cat’s cute face)
- Fabric glue
- 1 cup of dried beans, lentils, or rice
- Light colored marker or pencil (you will need this to draw Cat’s head shape)
1. Print the Cat pattern.
The pattern Includes:
2 eyes, 2 pupils, 2 feet, 2 paws, 2 ears and 2 tall circles. You’ll need white felt for the eyes, black felt for the pupils, blue felt for the arms, legs and ears, and gray felt for the tail. Cut out all the pattern pieces and put them aside until needed.
2. First you need to turn your sock inside out and lay it flat with the heel facing up, like this.
3. The toe of the sock is square-ish. We want to round it off and make it look more like Cat’s cute little head. So, using a marker or pencil, draw a half-circle on the toe. You can trace the bottom of a can or a jar if you want the perfect curve.
4. Using your blue thread, stitch along the line using a backstitch. If this is too tricky, a simple straight stitch is fine. (See stitch diagram below.)
5. This is the fun part! Turn the sock right side out and pour in the beans, lentils, or rice.
6. Pinch just above where the beans stop. Using a needle and blue thread, sew through the part you were pinching and wrap the thread around the outside. Repeat the sew and wrap process a couple more times until it feels as though the beans can’t escape.
7. The empty tube left over is going to become Cat’s tail. Fold the edge of the cuff into itself. Then fold the tube in half. You might need to smoosh the extra fabric In a bit, but don’t worry; the edge will be covered later. You can adjust this shape until you feel it looks like a tail.
8. Using the blue thread, stitch along the open edge to close it. A whip stitch works best.
9. Grab the tail circles you cut from the pattern. Place the circles on the end of Cat’s tail, one on each side. To hold them in place you can either pin them or put a bit of glue on the tail. Now using grey thread, whipstitch the circles onto the end of Cat’s tail.
10. Now grab all of Cat’s other parts that you cut out of the pattern. You’ll need your fingers for this part. Stitch the ears a finger width apart on top of the head using a whipstitch. Stitch the legs onto Cat’s bottom on either side of his tail. Stitch the arms about 2 fingers down from where you stitched Cat’s ears. Now Cat is really starting to look like Cat! (See whipstitch diagram in step 8.)
11. Grab the eyes you cut from the pattern, and glue them onto the sock using your fabric glue.
12. And while you’re at It, carefully glue the itty bitty black pupils onto the eyes.
13. Now it’s time to embroider Cat’s nose and smile. Or you can simply paint it on with puffy paint. Using your light colored marker or pencil, mark where you want the nose and mouth shape to be.
Using gray embroidery floss, do a satin stitch to create the nose. If the nose shape isn’t looking much like a nose, don’t worry, the satin stitch is very forgiving and you can go over it as many times as you need to. (See satin stitch diagram below.)
Then using a regular strait stitch, make an upside down “Y” shape to make the mouth.
Using your gray puffy paint make a horizontal oval for the nose and an upside down “Y” shape for the mouth.
15. Give Cat his paws. Using black thread, sew one long straight stitch for each line, 2 lines on each paw. (See straight stitch diagram in step 4.)
And you’re done! Pat yourself on the back! Give yourself a round of applause! You have just created a one-of-a-kind masterpiece with your own 2 hands! You did it again, you amaaaaazing genius!