Everybody thinks of pizza pie as a circle with triangle-shaped slices. But we at Peg’s Pizza Place think it’s time to set pizza free!
Let it be whatever shape it wants! Or whatever shape you want it to be! The Pig loves his pizza in triangles. Of course! But you’re not the Pig!
So make your perfect pizza in whatever shape makes you sing!
Make the Dough
You can make your pizza with pre-made dough or make your own dough at home.
1. Pre-made Crust
If you don’t have time to make the pizza dough yourself, just pick up a bag of pre-made dough from the grocery store. Then follow the instructions starting with “Prepare the Pizza” below.
2. Homemade Crust
Baking with your child is a great way to introduce math concepts like counting, measuring, and telling time. Here’s how to make a tasty pizza crust together at home.
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 1-4 extra tablespoons of warm water (about 110º F)
- 1 envelope yeast (2.25 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- Corn meal
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Your favorite pizza toppings!
- Combine the brown sugar and 1 cup of warm water in a large bowl.
- Then add the yeast and stir until it’s dissolved. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil, honey, and salt.
- Add 2 cups of flour and stir.
- Add the last two cups of flour and 1-4 more tablespoons of water (as much as necessary to mix flour completely)
- Knead until all the ingredients are combined (about 5 minutes). Tip: dust your hands in flour while kneading to keep the dough from sticking to your hands.
- Brush all sides of the dough in a bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel on top.
- Set the bowl in a warm place for 1.5-2 hours, until the dough doubles in size.
- Once the dough has risen, split it into two even balls and knead each for a few seconds.
- Place the dough balls on a plate and cover with a towel again for 20 minutes. Then they’re ready to roll!
If you don’t want to make two pizzas right away, wrap one ball of dough in plastic wrap and place it in a sealable plastic bag. The dough can stay fresh for several days if refrigerated.
Prepare the Pizza
Now that you’ve got the dough ready, it’s time for the best part – rolling it out and topping the pizza!
And while you’re preparing your pizza, start preheating your oven to 450 degrees.
1. Roll it into shape
Now it’s time to choose your perfect pizza shape! You can stick with the circle, or go with something different, like a triangle, a square, a parallelogram or a hexagon!
See the diagrams below for some creative ways to shape and cut your pizza. Talk with your child about different possible pizza shapes. Count how many sides these shapes have.
Roll out the dough into the shape you’ve picked. Make sure the dough is rolled out thin – it will rise as it bakes!
Then pinch the dough a bit around the edges to make the crust.
Sprinkle corn meal on a baking sheet, and then put your pizza crust on the sheet.
2. Top the Pizza
Spread on the pizza sauce. Then add toppings – whatever perfect pizza toppings you prefer! You can put on green pepper slices, mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, onions, pineapple chunks, spinach, or just about anything! Invite your child to put on the toppings and count them together as you go.
For a little extra flavor, sprinkle on a little dried basil and garlic powder.
When you’re done topping the pizza, sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese over the whole thing.
3. Bake it
Bake your pizza at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. When the crust is light brown and the cheese is melted, your perfect pizza is ready!
4. Slice and Serve
Take the pizza out of the oven and put it on a cutting surface. Be careful, it’s hot!
When you’re done slicing, its time to eat! Count out the slices as you serve them. Happy perfect pizza eating!