Play Doggie Detective to help your child with letter identification as they search for missing puppies.
- Target Age: 3-6
- Learning Goals: letter identification, words
- Related Episode: Woofster Finds a Home
- 3-6 toy puppies, puppies made out of construction paper or any stuffed animals
- Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, White, Brown, Pink, Gray/Silver or Gold Construction paper (one color for each bone)
- Scissors (*adults only)
- Draw or trace the outline of 10 dog bones. Each bone should be on a different color of construction paper. Cut them out (*adults only).
- Write one lowercase letter on one side of the dog bone: n, i, c, e, p, r, a.
- Hide the puppies on/under/near things in the home that start with the above letters.
- Lay all of the dog bone cards face down on the table. Have your child flip over a bone and identify the letter.
- Tell your child to go find a puppy next to/under/on top of something that starts with that letter. Help your child look for different things that start with each letter to see if the puppy is there!
- Your child uses the clue to find one puppy.
- Continue identifying the letters on each bone until all puppies are found.
Take It Further
- Make up names for each puppy and try to spell each name. Then make little collars for each puppy.
- Switch and let your child hide the puppies. He/she can give you clues orally.
- Place bones with a letter written on each one all around the floor. Call out a letter and have your child hurry to bring it back to the stuffed dog. Yummy! This makes the dogs happy.
- Use the letters on the bones to create words especially words from this episode (nice, prairie, adopt).
Talk About It
- Do you have a dog or another type of pet? What is his/her name? If you don't have a pet, what kind of pet would you want? What type of tricks could your pet or would your pet do?
- Why did Super Why adopt Woofster? What will Super Why have to do to take care of his new puppy? How do you help or would you help take care of your puppy or other pet?
- Encourage pretend play with puppies as you teach new vocabulary. Create a puppy adoption center or a veterinarian's office in your home.