Be Really Useful to your home and keep our planet as green as the Island of Sodor by being a conscientious recycler. Get your engineer on the right track by setting up a Sodor Recycling Station in your home and put her in charge of filling the cargo cars and bringing them to the curb or to your local recycling station on a regular basis.
Time: 30-40 minutes
- (2) Large plastic bins – one blue, one green
- (1) Large cardboard box (recycle one that may have been previously used for mailing a large package)
- Clear packing tape
- Black construction paper
- Yellow construction paper
- Thick red marker
- A list of items your town recycles
- Cut long strips of black construction paper, approximately 5” x 11”.
- Tape the strips together to create two long chains; then tape the chains around the bottom perimeter of each plastic bin to be the engines’ buffers. Be sure to cover the buffers thoroughly with the packing tape to create a laminate (this will help it last!).
- The green bin – based on Percy – should have a yellow #6 on its side: cut the yellow number out of the construction paper, outline it with the red marker and tape it on the long side of the bin. Because Percy likes to collect mail, this bin can hold mixed paper, magazines, newspapers and cardboard.
- To make sure your family knows what items get recycled, print out pictures, or cut pieces of labels from your commonly-used recyclables and tape them to the front of the bin (the part people will see).
- Note: if your town requires you to separate glass from plastic or metal, make an additional bin. (Important: Monitor the handling of cans and potentially sharp objects.)
Full steam ahead to a greener planet!