New York Buroughs Activity
This activity will provide your child with an opportunity to learn about the state of New York, while focusing on the state’s five “boroughs.” You'll also find instructions for creating a travel poster.
- Computer with Internet access
- Map of the five Boroughs such as this one
- Items to create and decorate the travel poster, such as:
Markers or Crayons
- Wilson & Ditch: Digging America - New York City
- New York City - Wikipedia
- New York City Buroughs Map - Wikipedia
Watch the “Wilson and Ditch: Digging America” episode about New York. Get your child excited about New York; show a map, pictures and play songs that have been written about the state (i.e., “Empire State of Mind” by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys – NON EXPLICIT VERSION, “New York, New York” by Frank Sinatra).
Explain to your child that he/she is going to create a travel poster for one of the five boroughs of New York. In addition to making a poster, consider adding games and/or food themed to New York (i.e., apple slices, pizza, bagels, or cheesecake bites).
The five groups/boroughs are:
- Staten Island
Ask your child to choose one of the five boroughs and to include the following information on the poster:
- A brief history about that particular borough.
- Some interesting facts.
- Description of historic buildings and landmarks.
- Photos from the past and/or the present.
- Show any interesting locations to visit. (Museums, Parks, Aquariums, Historic Building, etc.)
Have your child research the five boroughs. Together, you may search the Internet, browse encyclopedias or go to the library.
Once all of the research is complete, have your child create their poster to entice people to visit a borough in New York. Your child should feel free to be as creative as possible; they can draw, color, glue or create a collage. Upon completion, celebrate with a New York-themed family night. Play some music from a favorite Broadway play or New York-based band and enjoy a New York favorite, such as pizza, apples, hot dogs or cheesecake!