Jobs at American Documentary Inc.
American Documentary Inc., the parent company of the award-winning 30-year-old PBS independent film series POV (pbs.org/pov, @povdocs), is seeking a full-time, 5-month-contract Multimedia Designer to join the team in its Brooklyn, NY office, with the intention to continue into a full-time staff position. The contract will be begin no later than February 1, 2017.
We’re looking for someone to drive a broad range of design activities for American Documentary, at first for digital marketing (such as the redesign of pbs.org/pov), then for POV’s original digital productions, printed resources and marketing collateral. The designer will be expected to have all of the skills to execute the responsibilities below. This is not a management position.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with POV Digital producers and developers to design and implement interfaces for pbs.org/pov in advance of the start of POV’s 30th season on PBS. This will be the primary project of the contract.
- Collaborating with American Documentary staff to lead the translation of business, marketing and editorial objectives into concepts for marketing campaigns, film-related content such as educational materials, in-house digital productions, posters, newsletters, brochures, digital advertisements and other design projects.
- Producing spot graphics and icons, and optimizing assets for the web and social media on quick turnaround.
- Executing concepts through to final delivery.
- Redefining, adhering to and enforcing design standards across media.
- Creating and maintaining documentation, communicating new developments and trends in design, and proposing how advances can be implemented.
- Note: The responsibilities may change in response to the needs of American Documentary Inc.
- Expert knowledge of production tools for digital and video, as well as print (i.e., Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, InDesign).
- Up-to-date with tools, trends and best practices in digital design, including modern web design principles.
- Significant experience with CSS, typography and layout skills for text-heavy work such as websites, video graphics, lesson plans, infographics and reports.
- Experience with workflows and communication techniques for digital production (including prototyping, user flows) and video production (including storyboarding), as well as print production (including printer requirements).
- Ability to meet deadlines while working on multiple projects. You should have a history of completing projects to a high standard on time and within budget.
- High attention to detail.
- Impeccable communication skills (written, verbal, in presentations) and experience using collaborative documents.
- A portfolio of national-caliber design projects demonstrating modern, audience-focused experiences, including websites for desktop and mobile devices and motion graphics, as well as printed marketing materials and print advertising.
- Familiarity with web development (HTML/JS) or working with web developers. Experience with designing for WordPress is a plus.
- Experience using professional project management systems.
- Familiarity with user testing practices.
- 2-4+ years of related experience with a digital agency, creative team or non-profit organization preferred.
For more information, or to apply, please contact Betty Cordero at email@example.com. Reference Multimedia Designer in Subject line. No calls please.
Attach the following as a PDF or as plain text:
- A cover letter, including salary requirements.
- A resume.
- A list of URL/s to a set of projects (or visuals and descriptions when URL/s are not applicable) with your role/s clearly stated.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Applications are due Friday, January 20, 2017, by 5 p.m. Eastern Time.
American Documentary, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or disability.
Produced by American Documentary, Inc., POV is public television’s premier showcase for nonfiction films. Since 1988, POV has been the home for the world’s boldest contemporary filmmakers, celebrating intriguing personal stories that spark conversation and inspire action. Always an innovator, POV discovers fresh new voices and creates interactive experiences that shine a light on social issues and elevate the art of storytelling. With our documentary broadcasts, original online programming and dynamic community engagement campaigns, we are committed to supporting films that capture the imagination and present diverse perspectives.
POV films have won 34 Emmy® Awards, 19 George Foster Peabody Awards, 12 Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards, three Academy Awards®, the first-ever George Polk Documentary Film Award and the Prix Italia. The POV series has been honored with a Special News & Documentary Emmy Award for Excellence in Television Documentary Filmmaking, three IDA Awards for Best Curated Series and the National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP) Award for Corporate Commitment to Diversity. Learn more: www.pbs.org/pov.
Major funding for POV is provided by PBS, The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Corporation for Public Broadcasting and National Endowment for the Arts. Additional funding comes from Nancy Blachman and David desJardins, Bertha Foundation, Wyncote Foundation, The Fledgling Fund, Marguerite Casey Foundation, Ettinger Foundation, New York State Council on the Arts, Ann Tenenbaum and Thomas H. Lee, and public television viewers. POV is presented by a consortium of public television stations including KQED San Francisco, WGBH Boston and THIRTEEN in association with WNET.ORG.
About POV Digital:
Since 1994, POV Digital has driven new storytelling initiatives and interactive production for POV. The department created PBS’s first program website and its first web-based documentary (POV’s Borders) and has won major awards, including a Webby Award (and six nominations) and an Online News Association Award. POV Digital continues to explore the future of independent nonfiction media through its digital productions and the POV Digital Labs, where media makers and technologists collaborate to reinvent storytelling forms. @povdocs on Twitter.