Jobs at American Documentary Inc.
American Documentary Inc., the parent company of the award-winning 30-year-old PBS independent film series POV (pbs.org/pov, @povdocs), is seeking a full-time, 5-month-contract Multimedia Designer to join the team in its Brooklyn, NY office, with the intention to continue into a full-time staff position. The contract will be begin no later than February 1, 2017.
We’re looking for someone to drive a broad range of design activities for American Documentary, at first for digital marketing (such as the redesign of pbs.org/pov), then for POV’s original digital productions, printed resources and marketing collateral. The designer will be expected to have all of the skills to execute the responsibilities below. This is not a management position.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with POV Digital producers and developers to design and implement interfaces for pbs.org/pov in advance of the start of POV’s 30th season on PBS. This will be the primary project of the contract.
- Collaborating with American Documentary staff to lead the translation of business, marketing and editorial objectives into concepts for marketing campaigns, film-related content such as educational materials, in-house digital productions, posters, newsletters, brochures, digital advertisements and other design projects.
- Producing spot graphics and icons, and optimizing assets for the web and social media on quick turnaround.
- Executing concepts through to final delivery.
- Redefining, adhering to and enforcing design standards across media.
- Creating and maintaining documentation, communicating new developments and trends in design, and proposing how advances can be implemented.
- Note: The responsibilities may change in response to the needs of American Documentary Inc.
- Expert knowledge of production tools for digital and video, as well as print (i.e., Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, InDesign).
- Up-to-date with tools, trends and best practices in digital design, including modern web design principles.
- Significant experience with CSS, typography and layout skills for text-heavy work such as websites, video graphics, lesson plans, infographics and reports.
- Experience with workflows and communication techniques for digital production (including prototyping, user flows) and video production (including storyboarding), as well as print production (including printer requirements).
- Ability to meet deadlines while working on multiple projects. You should have a history of completing projects to a high standard on time and within budget.
- High attention to detail.
- Impeccable communication skills (written, verbal, in presentations) and experience using collaborative documents.
- A portfolio of national-caliber design projects demonstrating modern, audience-focused experiences, including websites for desktop and mobile devices and motion graphics, as well as printed marketing materials and print advertising.
- Familiarity with web development (HTML/JS) or working with web developers. Experience with designing for WordPress is a plus.
- Experience using professional project management systems.
- Familiarity with user testing practices.
- 2-4+ years of related experience with a digital agency, creative team or non-profit organization preferred.
For more information, or to apply, please contact Betty Cordero at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference Multimedia Designer in Subject line. No calls please.
Attach the following as a PDF or as plain text:
- A cover letter, including salary requirements.
- A resume.
- A list of URL/s to a set of projects (or visuals and descriptions when URL/s are not applicable) with your role/s clearly stated.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Community Engagement and Education Associate, POV
American Documentary | POV
American Documentary (AmDoc) is a New York City-based nonprofit media organization and producer of PBS’s award-winning series, POV (“point of view”). Since 1988, POV has produced and presented over 500 of the most important and challenging independent documentary films of our time. The mission of AmDoc is to present contemporary stories that express opinions and perspectives rarely featured in mainstream media outlets. AmDoc develops strategic engagement activities around socially relevant content on television, online and in community settings. These activities are designed to trigger action, from dialogue and feedback to educational opportunities and community participation.
We are currently looking for a Community Engagement and Education Associate to support a broad range of outreach and educational activities. The Community Engagement and Education department works with community-based organizations, educators, and public television stations to present community screenings of POV films and digital productions, and to develop and distribute accompanying educational resource materials to teachers nationwide. This position reports to the Manager of Community Engagement and Education.
- Assist with production of companion materials, including film-specific discussion guides, lesson plans, and reading lists.
- Assist with outreach and partnership development, including assisting in the development of strategic audience engagement campaigns for POV films
- Assist with maintenance of POV’s online event management system, including overseeing daily support of partners
- Oversee logistics of DVD lending library, including shipping and data processing
- Draft newsletter and blog content, and assist with social media strategy and implementation
- Assist with analytics and reporting for department programs
- Participate in scheduled meetings and ad hoc meetings with staff, filmmakers and partners
- Assist in hiring and supervising interns, as needed
- Other administrative support and other tasks, as required
- Assist in any other tasks as needed by Vice President of Content Strategy and Engagement and Community Engagement and Education Manager.
The ideal candidate has:
- BA plus 1-3 years relevant office experience, preferably in a non-profit organization
- Interest in social justice and/or documentary film
- Excellent writing and editing skills; ability to seek and synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct form
- Articulate, outgoing, positive personality with strong interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail a must
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work with minimal supervision; will take initiative as appropriate; and able to work as a team member
- Excellent computer skills, including all Microsoft Office applications; familiarity with WordPress CMS, Adobe Suite and FileMaker Pro a plus
How to Apply:
For more information, or to apply with resume and cover letter, please contact Betty Cordero at email@example.com by February 28th. Reference Community Engagement Associate in the Subject line. No calls please. American Documentary, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or disability.