Official Contest Rules
2010 OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THIS CONTEST IS INTENDED FOR THE UNITED STATES AND WILL BE GOVERNED BY UNITED STATES LAW. DO NOT ENTER IF YOU ARE NOT LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C. who are 14 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees, directors and officers of American Documentary, Inc. (“Sponsor”), its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, and the web design, advertising, fulfillment, and judging/contest agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Contest (collectively, “Contest Parties”), and the immediate family members of any such individuals (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same households of any such individuals (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Contest) are not eligible to participate.
2. CONTEST ENTRY PERIOD: Contest begins on September 16, 2010 at 12:00:01 am Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends November 15, 2010 at 11:59:59 pm ET (the “Contest Period”). Online public voting (outlined in section 4 below) will be held beginning on November 16, 2010 at 12:00:01 am ET through November 30, 2010 at 11:59:59 pm ET. The server hosting the Contest Web Site is the official clock for this Contest.
3. TO ENTER: Create an original video sharing your story about “This Is My Family”. The video should address items such as: How do you define “family”? What makes your family special? What are your favorite family activities? When did you first start thinking your family was different, and how do you feel about it now? (“Entry”). The Entry shall not exceed five (5) minutes in length and all dialogue and/or text shall be in English. To enter the Contest complete the online registration form at www.pbs.org/pov/adoption/myfamily.php (“Contest Web Site”) and then upload your Entry. Your Entry must be in WebM, .MPEG4, .3GPP, .MOV, .AVI, .MPEGPS, .WMV, or .FLV file formats and may not be larger than 2 GB. Once your registration form is complete and you have uploaded your Entry, click the “Upload Your Story” button to submit your Entry. All entries must be received by 11:59:59 pm ET on November 15, 2010. Limit one (1) Entry per person. Please retain your Entry in its original format after uploading it. If you are a winner, you may be required to provide your Entry to Sponsor in the original format as a condition of being awarded a prize.
Entry must be the original work of the entrant; may not have won previous awards; may not have been previously used for public display by any third party; must not infringe any third-party’s rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent); must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements; may not invade privacy, publicity or other rights of any person, firm or entity; may not in any other way depict or itself be in violation of applicable laws and regulations; may not contain any reference to any third party trademarks, names or third party logos; may not contain any copyrighted works owned by third parties; and may not communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate. You must get consent from any person featured in the Entry to submit the Entry. Sponsor reserves the right to, and may or may not, monitor/screen entries prior to posting them to the Website or judging. By entering, you acknowledge that Sponsor has no obligation to use or post any Entry you submit. Entries containing false information, prohibited material or inappropriate content, as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may be disqualified. If you think that any Entry infringes your intellectual property rights, visit www.youtube.com/t/dmca_policy if you wish to report it. Sponsor makes the final determination as to what Entries are eligible to take part in this Contest and reserves the right to waive the Contest entry requirements set forth herein in its reasonable discretion. Sponsor reserves the right, in its reasonable discretion, during or upon completion of the Contest Period, to request that any entrant resubmit his or her Entry which fails to comply with the Contest entry requirements prior to any judging or voting period. Submission of an Entry grants Sponsor and its agents the unconditional, irrevocable, worldwide right to publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify such Entry in any way, in any and all media, without limitation, and without consideration to the entrant, whether or not such Entry is selected as a winning Entry. BY SUBMITTING THE ORIGINAL ENTRY, THE ENTRANT REPRESENTS AND WARRANTS THAT THE ENTRY MEETS ALL THE REQUIREMENTS SET FORTH IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THAT HE/SHE HAS ALL RIGHT, TITLE AND INTEREST NECESSARY TO GRANT THE SPONSOR THE WORLDWIDE, IRREVOCABLE AND UNRESTRICTED RIGHT AND LICENSE TO ADAPT, PUBLISH, USE, EDIT, AND/OR MODIFY SUCH ENTRY IN ANY WAY AND POST THE ORIGINAL ENTRY ON THE INTERNET OR USE THE ORIGINAL ENTRY IN ANY OTHER WAY AND AGREES TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD SPONSOR AND YOUTUBE HARMLESS FROM ANY CLAIMS TO THE CONTRARY. By submitting an Entry, you agree that your submission is gratuitous and made without restriction, and will not place Sponsor under any obligation, that Sponsor is free to disclose or otherwise disclose the ideas contained in the Video on a non-confidential basis to anyone or otherwise use the ideas without any additional compensation to you. You acknowledge that, by acceptance of your submission, Sponsor does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Sponsor, or developed by its employees, or obtained from sources other than you. Any waiver of any obligation hereunder by Sponsor does not constitute a general waiver of any obligation to entrants.
4. SELECTION OF WINNERS: Two (2) winners will be chosen in this Contest. A qualified panel of judges (“Judges”) will judge all entries based on the following judging criteria:
- Honest storytelling – maximum of 35 points
- Execution of the video in a concise, visually appealing way – maximum of 35 points
- Overall originality and creativity of video – maximum of 30 points
The judging will be completed on or about December 1, 2010. Judges’ decisions are final and binding.
Judge’s Favorite: The entrant with the highest scoring Entry will be declared the Judge’s Favorite prize winner. In the event of a tie for the Judge’s Favorite, the tied Entry with the highest score in the first Judging Criteria, continuing thereafter to each Judging Criteria in order, as needed to break the tie will be declared the winner. Entrants agree that the Judges have the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and that all decisions are final and binding in all respects.
People’s Choice:The second winner will be determined by an online public vote (“People’s Choice”). The five (5) Entries with the highest scores from the Judges (excluding the Judge’s Favorite) will be deemed the People’s Choice Finalists and will be posted online for public voting. People’s Choice Finalist Entries will be posted on the Contest Web Site for the public to vote on which People’s Choice Finalist Entry is the best, based on the Judging Criteria set forth above. People’s Choice Finalist Entries will be posted for public voting at the Contest Website starting on November 16, 2010 at 12:00:01 am ET and ending on November 30, 2010 at 11:59:59 pm ET (“Voting Period”). The use of automated voting methods is strictly prohibited and suspect votes will be disqualified. Limit one (1) vote per Day per person and/or email address throughout the Voting Period. A “Day” is defined as the twenty four (24) hours between 12:00:00 am ET and 11:59:59 pm ET throughout the Voting Period. At the close of public voting, the People’s Choice Finalist Entry that receives the most votes will be deemed the People’s Choice winner. In the unlikely event that public voting results in a tie, there will be a run-off of public voting of the tied Finalist Entries based on the Judging Criteria stated above.
5. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES (“ARV”):
One (1) Grand Prize: a 16GB Wi-Fi enabled Apple iPad. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $499.
One (1) People’s Choice Prize: an 8GB Apple iTouch. ARV: $229.
All Prizes: Sponsor does not make nor is in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Any and all warranties and/or guarantees on a prize (if any) are subject to the respective manufacturers’ terms therefore, and winners agree to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty and/or guarantee. Apple is a registered trademark and iPad and iTouch are trademarks of Apple, Inc. Apple, Inc. is no way affiliated with this Contest.
7. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by Sponsor or Contest Parties resulting from your participation in, or attempt to participate in, the Contest, or the download of any information in connection with participating in the Contest. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the Sponsor or Contest Parties for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences, without limitation, that may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent to or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted e-mail transmissions; inaccessibility of the Contest Web Site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or Contest Web Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bug, worm; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Contest Web Site. Use of the Contest Web Site is at user’s own risk. Sponsor and the Contest Parties are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind that may be sustained to user’s or any other person’s computer equipment resulting from participation in the Contest, use of the Contest Web Site or the download of any information from the Contest Web Site. By participating in the Contest, the entrant agrees to release Sponsor and the Contest Parties from any and all claims, damages or liabilities (“Claims”) arising from or relating to such entrant’s participation in the Contest, including any Claims related to injuries or damages to entrant while creating the Entry. By accepting a prize, recipient (and recipient’s parent or legal guardian if a prize winner is considered an eligible minor in his/her state of residence) agrees to release and hold Sponsor, Contest Parties, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents harmless from any liability for injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in the Contest; from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize including but not limited to liability for taxes, duties or other levies assessed upon any of the prizes. Except in Tennessee, and where prohibited by law, by accepting a prize, winner grants permission for Sponsor and those acting under its authority to use his/her name, photograph, voice and/or likeness, for advertising and/or publicity purposes, in any and all media now known or hereinafter invented without territorial or time limitations and without additional compensation.
8. DISCLAIMER: ENTRIES POSTED TO THE CONTEST WEB SITE WERE NOT EDITED BY SPONSOR AND ARE THE VIEWS/OPINIONS OF THE INDIVIDUAL ENTRANT AND DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF SPONSOR IN ANY MANNER.
9. WINNERS LIST REQUEST: For winner names, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope, for receipt by December 31, 2010 to: POV, Point Of View Contest Winners List Request, PO Box 1095, Elmhurst, IL 60126.
10. SPONSOR: American Documentary, Inc./POV, P.O. Box 5034, Bowling Green Station, New York, NY 10274-5034.