Big Birding Day — David Wilson offers a glimpse into the world of competitive birdwatching, as three friends attempt to see as many species as possible in 24 hours.
Flawed — Artist/filmmaker Andrea Dorfman’s drawings burst colorfully into life as she animates the story of her long-distance relationship with a man whose profession — plastic surgery — gives her plenty of fodder.
StoryCorps Shorts — StoryCorps brings its Peabody Award-winning storytelling to POV for a second season. POV’s animated shorts use original recordings that have become beloved NPR “driveway moments.” Funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
- Miss Devine — Cousins James Ransom and Cherie Johnson recall their inimitable Sunday school teacher, Miss Lizzie Devine. This animation, set in the small Florida town of the cousins’ memories, will have you laughing as the cousins remember the fearsome Miss Devine.
- No More Questions!— Strong-willed grandmother Kay Wang allowed her son and granddaughter to drag her into a StoryCorps booth. Though Kay was reluctant, she had stories to tell — from disobeying her mother and rebuffing suitors while growing up in China to late-life adventures as a detective for Bloomingdale’s department store.
Six Weeks — Six weeks is the period in which parents of newborn babies in Poland may decide to give up a child for adoption. Marcin Janos Krawczyk looks at one child’s fate through the eyes of the mother who must make her irreversible decision and the joyful parents who adopt her baby.
Tiffany— Beverly Morris tells of her ongoing struggle to hold on to the most contested object in her divorce — the Tiffany lamp, in this animated short.
After watching the films, visit the POV Short Cuts companion site to learn more about the films and the filmmakers behind them.
- Watch video interviews with the Rauch Brothers and learn how the unforgettable StoryCorps animated shorts are made.
- Then, get insights into short filmmaking with Andrea Dorfman (Flawed), David Wilson (Big Birding Day) and Marcin Janos Krawczyk (Six Weeks).
- Want POV Short Cuts on the go? Download the free PBS mobile app to your iPhone or iPad, then watch these docs anywhere!
- You can also visit the POV Short Cuts website on Wednesday, August 24, 2011, to stream all of this year’s shorts online for free!
- Come back to the POV Short Cuts companion site after the broadcast to enter a giveaway for film prizes.