While the big boys — Sundance, Tribeca, Cannes — receive acclaim for breaking new films and bringing out the stars, there are countless film festival gems hidden in small towns around America that deserve more attention from filmmakers and filmgoers.
Whether you’re looking for an alternative venue to premiere your first documentary or a scenic weekend getaway for watching a well-programmed slate, these lesser-known fests embody the passion and innovation of the A-listers, but with a little hometown hospitality.
Population source: 2010 Census.
Read more posts like this one...
- Weekly Roundup: ‘Tis the Season for Film Festivals
- Weekly Roundup: Festivals, Festivals and More Festivals
- A Preview of the 2008 Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
- 2011 New York Film Festival Documentary Preview
- Big Sky Film Festival
- Film and Environmental Activism: Catching up with Everything’s Cool’s Judith Helfand and Daniel B. Gold
- “New Muslim Cool” Honored at Al Jazeera Film Festival