- Contemplating the Cut 2017 | Panel 1: Creative Use of Archival Footage
Joseph Krings, Mary Lampson, and Maya Mumma in conversation with Ashley Clark examine creative approaches to editing with archival footage.
- Contemplating the Cut 2017 | Panel 2: Craft Conversations
Lindsay Utz and Chyld King share insights with moderator Marshall Curry about their process, deconstructing approaches to vérité and interview-based films.
- Fellowship, Residency or Lab – Which Is Best for Your Project?
For both established and emerging mediamakers, fellowships, residencies and labs provide various types of support for the development and completion of your project.
- Camera, Lens, Drone! The Documentary Gear to Keep, Add or Remove From Your Kit
The basics of documentary storytelling don't change all that much, but the tools for creating films evolve.
- Understanding the Colombian Peace Process Through Documentary Film
The nonfiction films that illustrate some of the main causes of the Colombian armed conflict and its peace process.
- 10 Minutes with Filmmaker Nanfu Wang: Hooligan Sparrow and Activism in China
Have you ever seen a documentary and thought to yourself, "I can't believe they filmed that and lived to tell it"?
- Docu-Series 'America Divided' is the Latest to Chronicle New York's Housing Crisis
'America Divided' is the latest entry into the canon of films about New York City's housing crisis.
- Keeping Score: How Documentary Filmmakers Can Work With Composers
Tyler Strickland shares why he started scoring documentaries, and how filmmakers can best work with composers.
- How to Hack a Hackathon
POV Hackathon 8 team Hello Fat Larry share their guide to a hackathon. The team won the Participant's Choice Award at POV Hackathon 8.
- The Making of Priya's Shakti
Jaya Mahajan discusses the making of Priya's Shakti, a multimedia project combating attitudes towards sexual assault, with producer Ram Devineni.
- Ten Questions for Alexandre Brachet, Margaux Missika and Gregory Trowbridge of Upian
Established in 1998, Upian is a design studio and interactive production company known for its award winning projects including Alma: A Tale of Violence, Prison Valley, and Generation Quoi?
- How Fair Use Brought 'Dream Deceivers' to Home Video
Filmmaker David Van Taylor employed fair use of his 1992 POV film Dream Deceivers. Now, a new generation will be able to see the famous doc about the trial that tried Judas Priest for putting subliminal messages in their music.
- 10 Secrets for Making the Most of Your Film's Broadcast Premiere
Picture Motion's Alexandra Pearson and Megan Ryan take us behind the scenes of the social impact campaigns of five remarkable films that aired on CNN, HBO, OWN and POV.
- Create Your Own Essential DSLR Video Kit
Find out which camera body, lenses, audio equipment, rigs, tripods, monopods, editing software and other miscellaneous tools you need for a top-notch DSLR filmmaking kit.
- Creating Multi Camera Sequences in Premiere Pro, Part 2
This article is part of a series of posts from MediaStorm with tips and tricks from their producers’ experience working with Adobe Premiere Pro CC after years of working in Final Cut Pro.
- Six Cameras Under $300 for Video Activists on a Budget
Your smartphone may be your best tool for human rights documentation or advocacy, but in "WITNESS's Guide to Cheap Digital Cameras for Activists," Martin Tzanev and Ryan Kautz offer a few more suggestions.
- Ten Questions for Eline Jongsma & Kel O'Neill of Empire
Eline Jongsma and Kel O'Neill answer questions about creating the interactive documentary Empire. The Project will have its US Premiere at the New York Film Festival’s Convergence program in September 2013.
- 6 Essential Tips for Using Archival Footage
Panelists at a recent Doc U event organized by the International Documentary Association weigh in on 6 things to keep in mind when working with archives.