- For Filmmakers: DIY Digital Distribution Platforms
So you've made your film... Now you start the biggest challenge of them all: getting it seen. We've complied a list of digital self-distribution platforms and asked each one why documentary filmmakers should pick their service over all the others.
- Announcing POV's 2013 Documentary Filmmaking Equipment Survey
Are you a documentary filmmaker? Then we want to hear from you! POV is surveying documentarians through October 10, 2013 to create a comprehensive equipment guide - based on what you're actually using in the field.
- Black Betty: A Digital Camera Designed Like a Film Camera
Nofilmschool.com calls it "the first single unit camera in existence capable of shooting, editing, and posting footage online, without the need for any other hardware."
- Vimeo Is All About Filmmakers With Its New Self-Distribution Service
Vimeo announced its new self-distribution service on Tuesday, so how does it work? Is it easy to use?
- Facebook? Twitter? Help! – Tips and Tricks for Filmmakers on Social Media
It's a new year. Festivals are gearing up again. And you think, how do I market my film on social media? Here is a list of some evergreen tips to get the ball rolling.
- Seed&Spark: Introducing a New Platform and Ecosystem for Independent Film
This Saturday, December 1, Seed&Spark will roll out its platform, aiming to provide a whole new ecosystem for the funding and distribution of independent films.
- 6 Golden Rules for Filmmakers on Social Media
What's the best way to ensure success online? Read six tips for engaging your audience from Elisabeth Holm (Kickstarter), Gary Hustwit (Helvetica), Julie La'Bassiere (FilmBuff) and Mike Knowlton (StoryCode, Murmur).
- Check out 'This Gay and Age' in Observance of Spirit Day!
Observed annually on October 20th, Spirit Day encourages people to show their support for LGBT youth, simply by wearing purple. Check out the 2011 Project Voicescape Best Documentary Award winner This Gay and Age to hear LGBT youth speak about the issues they are faced with.
- Next on POV: 'If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front'
POV's 24th season on PBS continues Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2011, with the U.S. broadcast premiere of If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front, a film lifts the veil on a radical environmental group that the FBI calls America's "number one domestic terrorism threat."
- What Critics Are Saying About 'Armadillo' – Watch It Tonight!
The critics are buzzing about Armadillo, the Danish war documentary that sparked controversy about the war in Afghanistan in its home country.
- Live Chat with Shelby Knox and Filmmakers Marion Lipschutz and Rose Rosenblatt
- POV's 'Presumed Guilty' is Subject of Landmark Freedom of Speech and Censorship Case in Mexico
The award-winning Presumed Guilty
has become the highest-grossing documentary in Mexico's history, but last Wednesday, the film was pulled from the theatrical circuit by a federal judge. Another court has now overturned that ruling, but the legal battle continues.