- Soccer Docs For World Cup Fever
Tom Roston suggests some soccer docs to supplement a World Cup soccer diet.
- Sebastian Junger's Documentary Korengal Is “For the Soldiers”
Journalist/filmmaker Sebastian Junger talks to Tom Roston about Bowe Bergdahl, Hollywood's depiction of war and revisiting the footage made with his Restrepo co-director Tim Hetherington.
- Master Filmmaker Agnès Varda Gives Us Her Version of a Travelogue in “From Here to There”
Legendary film and documentary director Agnès Varda's five-part docu-series Agnès Varda: From Here to There is airing on SundanceNow.
- Ask Your Jewish Grandmother About “The Sturgeon Queens”
Smoked fish, caviar, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Mario Battali take the Jewish film festival circuit and PBS by storm with The Sturgeon Queens. Tom Roston talks to director Julie Cohen about the film.
- Top 5 Films from Hot Docs 2014
Hot Docs Film Festival 2014 concluded this weekend in Toronto, Canada. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares his favorite films from the fest.
- “Poverty Porn” and a Proposal That Could End It Once And For All
There’s potential for exploitation whenever a documentary is made. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston proposes a new way to support the communities depicted by the filmmaker-without-a-cause.
- Hot Docs: Discovering 'Pine Ridge'
Allow Doc Soup Man Tom Roston to introduce you to Pine Ridge, a documentary that made an impression at Hot Docs in Toronto by first-time Swedish filmmaker Anna Eborn.
- Hot Docs: 10 Documentaries Doc Soup Man Is Eager to See
Toronto's Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival runs April 24 to May 4, 2014.
- A Different Kind of Fight Film: Bill Siegel's “The Trials of Muhammad Ali”
The Trials of Muhammad Ali gives a purposeful look to Ali's life outside of the ring. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston interviews director Bill Siegel about the making of the film.
- Tribeca Film Festival Documentary Alum “Flex Is Kings” Showcases Underground Dance Of The Outer Boroughs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston discusses urban dance documentary and Tribeca Film Festival alum Flex Is Kings from Directors Deidre Schoo & Michael Beach Nichols.
- “Wild Things” Breathes New Life Into the Nature Show
Actor-turned-naturalist Dominic Monaghan tells Doc Soup Man Tom Roston why his BBC America show shouldn't be confused with reality TV.
- Documentary Filmmakers Debate One of Their Own
Filmmakers are arguing over The Act of Killing -- Is it brilliant storytelling or irresponsible filmmaking? -- but there's more going on here.
- Festival Madness
Sundance is behind us, SXSW is on now, Tribeca and Full Frame are coming up soon. Doc Soup Man has his picks from the past and future festivals that will set the documentary viewing agenda for the rest of the year.
- A Pioneering Reality TV Producer's Penance: Funding a New Documentary Journalism Program
Jonathan Murray, producer of "The Real World," "Project Runway" and "Keeping Up with the Kardashians," is funding a new documentary journalism center at his alma mater, the University of Missouri.
- True/False 2014: A Recap
True/False Film Fest, which wrapped its 11th edition this weekend, has garnered the reputation of being one of the most beloved film festivals in a very crowded field.
- True/False 2014: My 5 Favorite Films
Tom Roston introduces you to five documentaries you'll need to seek out in 2014.
- The Oscars: Doc Soup Man's Predictions for Best Documentary
Five documentaries are vying for an Academy Award this Sunday. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston picks the one that could win, and why.
- True/False: Interview with 'Actress' Filmmaker Robert Greene
Doc Soup Man interviews filmmaker Robert Greene of the documentary Actress. Premieres at True/False Film Fest 2014.