- “Wild Things” Breathes New Life Into the Nature Show
Actor-turned-naturalist Dominic Monaghan tells Doc Soup Man Tom Roston why his BBC America show shouldn't be confused with reality TV.
- Documentary Filmmakers Debate One of Their Own
Filmmakers are arguing over The Act of Killing -- Is it brilliant storytelling or irresponsible filmmaking? -- but there's more going on here.
- Festival Madness
Sundance is behind us, SXSW is on now, Tribeca and Full Frame are coming up soon. Doc Soup Man has his picks from the past and future festivals that will set the documentary viewing agenda for the rest of the year.
- A Pioneering Reality TV Producer's Penance: Funding a New Documentary Journalism Program
Jonathan Murray, producer of "The Real World," "Project Runway" and "Keeping Up with the Kardashians," is funding a new documentary journalism center at his alma mater, the University of Missouri.
- True/False 2014: A Recap
True/False Film Fest, which wrapped its 11th edition this weekend, has garnered the reputation of being one of the most beloved film festivals in a very crowded field.
- True/False 2014: My 5 Favorite Films
Tom Roston introduces you to five documentaries you'll need to seek out in 2014.
- The Oscars: Doc Soup Man's Predictions for Best Documentary
Five documentaries are vying for an Academy Award this Sunday. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston picks the one that could win, and why.
- True/False: Interview with 'Actress' Filmmaker Robert Greene
Doc Soup Man interviews filmmaker Robert Greene of the documentary Actress. Premieres at True/False Film Fest 2014.
- When Will the Women of the Documentary World Get Their Due?
Of the Oscar-nominated documentaries this year, only one is directed by a woman (Jehane Noujaim, of The Square).
- Documentary Filmmakers: You Call That A Trailer?
What's the deal with documentary trailers? Tom Roston considers some of the best and most disappointing doc trailers he's seen and wonders if they're a marketing tool finally on the upswing in the documentary world.
- Sundance 2014: Five Major Documentary Takeaways
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares the biggest documentary news from the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.
- Impressions on the 2014 Oscar Best Documentary Nominees and Snubs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston gives his impressions on today's Best Documentary Academy Award Nominations and snubs
- Predicting the Oscars' Best Documentary Nominees
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston predicts this year's Oscar nominations for Best Documentary. He's been on target before... will he get it right again?
- Cinema Eye Honors: No Losers Here
Tom Roston recaps winners and highlights from the 2014 Cinema Eye Honors at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens.
- Cinema Eye Honors: A Cabaret Party for Nonfiction Film Lovers
Now in its sixth year, The Cinema Eye Honors has come into its own as a celebration of documentary filmmaking. The 2014 Cinema Eye Honors
event will take place this Wednesday, January 8th, at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2013
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! These films pushed the boundaries of the form and helped take documentary storytelling to a whole new level.
- An Open Letter to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to Include Documentaries in the Golden Globes
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston encourages the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to consider why they should include a documentary category in their annual Golden Globe Awards.
- Reviewing the 2014 Oscar Shortlist for Best Documentary Award
Last week, the shortlist of films eligible for the 2014 best documentary Academy Award was announced. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston reviews the list and shares what he thinks will make the top 5 nominations.