- Sundance 2014: Five Major Documentary Takeaways
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares the biggest documentary news from the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.
- Impressions on the 2014 Oscar Best Documentary Nominees and Snubs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston gives his impressions on today's Best Documentary Academy Award Nominations and snubs
- Predicting the Oscars' Best Documentary Nominees
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston predicts this year's Oscar nominations for Best Documentary. He's been on target before... will he get it right again?
- Cinema Eye Honors: No Losers Here
Tom Roston recaps winners and highlights from the 2014 Cinema Eye Honors at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens.
- Cinema Eye Honors: A Cabaret Party for Nonfiction Film Lovers
Now in its sixth year, The Cinema Eye Honors has come into its own as a celebration of documentary filmmaking. The 2014 Cinema Eye Honors
event will take place this Wednesday, January 8th, at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2013
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! These films pushed the boundaries of the form and helped take documentary storytelling to a whole new level.
- An Open Letter to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to Include Documentaries in the Golden Globes
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston encourages the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to consider why they should include a documentary category in their annual Golden Globe Awards.
- Reviewing the 2014 Oscar Shortlist for Best Documentary Award
Last week, the shortlist of films eligible for the 2014 best documentary Academy Award was announced. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston reviews the list and shares what he thinks will make the top 5 nominations.
- DOC NYC 2013: Errol Morris's “The Unknown Known” and the Mysteries of Donald Rumsfeld
The nation's largest documentary film festival opened with a "contemplative head-scratcher," a film the legendary director himself told the audience he likes because it's so unsatisfying.
- Is a Filmmaker's Personal Life Relevant to a Film? Another Look at 'Blood Brother'
Most industry folks try to judge a film purely by what happens between the opening and closing credits -- directors would certainly prefer things that way -- but that's an ideal. Sometimes, we have to look outside the frame.
- Five Questions for the Filmmakers of 'These Birds Walk'
Doc Soup Man interviews the directors of These Birds Walk, a lyrical documentary haiku about a young boy and an ambulance driver who try to find their way on the streets of Pakistan.
- 5 Lessons for Documentary Filmmakers From Pioneering New Journalism Article
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston annotates an annotation of Gay Talese's groundbreaking New Journalism article, "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold" with lessons for documentary filmmakers in mind.
- Run, Cut, Slow: Films That Document Subjects Over a Decade or More
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston takes a moment to appreciate documentaries that were made over long periods of time, like POV's American Promise and the Up series.
- Establishing the Hybrid Documentary Canon
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston argues for a need to define and establish a canon for hybrid documentaries, which include the recent Stories We Tell, The Act of Killing and The Summit.
- What To Do With All That Extra Footage? Gary Hustwit Is Publishing a Book and Maybe You Should Too
Filmmaker Gary Hustwit will be publishing the complete transcripts of his design trilogy Helvetica, Objectified, Urbanized into a book.
- The Summit Takes Hybrid Documentaries to the Next Level
The Summit, a hybrid depiction of the disastrous climb, in 2008, of the K2 mountain in the Himalayas, will be released in theaters throughout the United States starting October 4, 2013.
- New York Film Festival Documentary Highlights
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston lists five bold and ambitious documentary projects presenting at the upcoming New York Film Festival.
- Directors Martha Shane and Lana Wilson on 'After Tiller'
"Working on this film has definitely put an end to a lot of cocktail party conversations." Martha Shane, along with co-director Lana Wilson, talk with Doc Soup Man ahead of the release of After Tiller, a documentary about late-term abortion doctors.