- Where You Can Watch 2013 News and Documentary Emmy Winners
At last night's News and Documentary Emmy Awards ceremony, PBS programs garnered nine awards. The good news for you — all of these winners are available to watch for free online!
- What To Do With All That Extra Footage? Gary Hustwit Is Publishing a Book and Maybe You Should Too
Filmmaker Gary Hustwit will be publishing the complete transcripts of his design trilogy Helvetica, Objectified, Urbanized into a book.
- The Summit Takes Hybrid Documentaries to the Next Level
The Summit, a hybrid depiction of the disastrous climb, in 2008, of the K2 mountain in the Himalayas, will be released in theaters throughout the United States starting October 4, 2013.
- Fall Online #docchat Series: Engagement Strategy, Doc Criticism and More!
Join POV's Fall Online #docchat Series starting Tuesday, October 1, 2013 for online panels about engagement strategy, documentary criticism and planning for long-term documentary projects.
- Now Available Online: 'Best Kept Secret' and 'Neurotypical'
POV's two acclaimed documentaries about living with autism, 'Best Kept Secret' and 'Neurotypical,' are now available for free streaming online until October 7. 2013!
- Interact with Web Documentary Prototypes from DocMontevideo Hackathon
DocMontevideo held their first Hackathon in Montevideo, Uruguay in July 2013. Interact with the web documentary prototypes made by three teams of filmmakers and technologists from Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.
- Announcing POV's 2013 Documentary Filmmaking Equipment Survey
Are you a documentary filmmaker? Then we want to hear from you! POV is surveying documentarians through October 10, 2013 to create a comprehensive equipment guide - based on what you're actually using in the field.
- Ten Questions for Eline Jongsma & Kel O'Neill of Empire
Eline Jongsma and Kel O'Neill answer questions about creating the interactive documentary Empire. The Project will have its US Premiere at the New York Film Festival’s Convergence program in September 2013.
- Directors Martha Shane and Lana Wilson on 'After Tiller'
"Working on this film has definitely put an end to a lot of cocktail party conversations." Martha Shane, along with co-director Lana Wilson, talk with Doc Soup Man ahead of the release of After Tiller, a documentary about late-term abortion doctors.
- POV Films Available for Streaming in September 2013
POV is excited to announce the free streaming of many of its past films, including the 2013 Best Documentary Emmy nominee Nostalgia for the Light.
- Hollow: An Interactive Documentary Made While In School, But It's No Student Film
How do you balance grad school with production of your documentary? Elaine McMillion takes POV inside the creation of Hollow and offers lessons for students.
- The Future of Documentary Education: Inside Three New College Programs
The directors of MIT's Open Doc Lab, Duke's MFA in Experimental and Documentary Arts, and Loyola Marymount's in-development documentary MFA program share how they are reinventing documentary education.
- The Next Generation of Documentary Filmmakers Enters College
Three college freshmen from the Class of 2017 told POV why they want to become documentary filmmakers.
- 6 Intentionally Provocative Questions Intended to Stir Up Toronto Film Festival Documentary Programmer Thom Powers
Doc Soup Man asks six intentionally provocative questions about this year's slate to Thom Powers, documentary programmer at the Toronto International Film Festival.
- Black Betty: A Digital Camera Designed Like a Film Camera
Nofilmschool.com calls it "the first single unit camera in existence capable of shooting, editing, and posting footage online, without the need for any other hardware."
- 'Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin' Streaming Free – But Only For Two Days!
Watch the POV film that documents the Civil Rights Movement activist. Wednesday and Thursday (August 28-29, 2013) on POV's website.
- Why Did CNN, Time, Al Jazeera and Netflix Start Documentary Units?
Several news and media organizations have announced new divisions or commitments to documentary programming. Heather McIntosh investigates why.
- 6 Essential Tips for Using Archival Footage
Panelists at a recent Doc U event organized by the International Documentary Association weigh in on 6 things to keep in mind when working with archives.