- Why Did CNN, Time, Al Jazeera and Netflix Start Documentary Units?
Several news and media organizations have announced new divisions or commitments to documentary programming. Heather McIntosh investigates why.
- 6 Essential Tips for Using Archival Footage
Panelists at a recent Doc U event organized by the International Documentary Association weigh in on 6 things to keep in mind when working with archives.
- The Big Screen: All Brooklyn Film, All The Time
Heather Freundenthal and Joseph Shahadi give POV Eastman Fellow Alfonso Francois a closer look at the process behind Art of Brooklyn Film Festival's The Big Screen series.
- The Law in These Parts Now Available for Streaming on Mobile Devices
'The Law in These Parts' is now streaming on your mobile device -- free. Download the PBS video app and catch the film before the broadcast on August 19, 2013 at 10 PM.
- POV Films Available for Streaming in August 2013
See what POV has available for free streaming for the month of August! Catch films from the current 2013 season as well as classic films from the POV archives.
- Watch 'a.k.a Don Bonus' and 'Kelly Loves Tony' Now Streaming for Free at POV
a.k.a. Don Bonus and Kelly Loves Tony by Emmy award-winning filmmaker Spencer Nakasako are now available for free streaming on the POV website.
- 45 POV Documentaries You Can Watch Free This Weekend!
What are you watching this weekend? Eight POV feature docs and 37 short documentaries are streaming online free right now at POV.
- And Now A Word NOT From Our Sponsors
Tom Roston wonders if a sponsor-love scene in HBO Documentaries' The Crash Reel qualifies as product placement, and goes to filmmaker Lucy Walker to investigate.
- Music and 'Only the Young': Listen & Share Your #myHSsoundtrack
The music in Only the Young made us think about the role of music in documentary – and in narratives about growing up. Listen to the High School Soundtracks of the main subjects of Only the Young, then share your #myHSsoundtrack with the POV community.
- POV Films Receive 9 Emmy Nominations Including Nostalgia for the Light for Best Documentary!
POV has received 9 nominations in the 34th Annual News & Documentary Emmy® Awards! PBS received 45 nominations in total.
- Struggles: The Making of 'Only the Young'
Filmmaker Elizabeth Mims shares advice for first-time directors as she takes POV behind the scenes of Only the Young.
- A Cloud Storage Collaboration Guide for Filmmakers
Cloud storage isn't just a way to back up backups of backups, it has great potential for use as a hub for your film production.
- MacArthur Foundation 2013 Documentary Open Call Approaching!
The MacArthur Foundation will be accepting proposals for documentary film production funding ONLINE for the first time. Submissions will be open from July 15 - 31, 2013. Submissions close on July 31, 2013 at 3 PM CDT.
- For Filmmakers: The Top 25 Docutweeters
Whether you are new to Twitter or a veteran, "who should I follow" is always a burning question. Check out our list of the 25 Docutweeters that you should be sure to follow!
- Five Takeaways from “The Future of Documentary Storytelling”
Abi Wright shares her notes from the recent discussion hosted by ONA-NYC and the Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards at Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism in May.
- Judith Helfand on Robert West, “One of My Greatest Teachers and Beloved Comrades”
Robert West, the co-founder of Working Films, passed away on June 6, 2013. Judith Helfand, who started Working Films with West, shared this message with POV.
- The Making of Bear 71
National Film Board of Canada producer Loc Dao shares some of the process and numbers behind the 2012 interactive documentary Bear 71 with blogger and documentary consultant Jaya Mahajan.
- Lucy Winer (“Kings Park”) on Making a Career in Documentary Filmmaking
The filmmaker of Rate It X and Golden Threads is wiser after releasing many documentaries the "traditional way" and has turned to a new model for making a living as an independent filmmaker.