- Predicting the Oscars' Best Documentary Nominees
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston predicts this year's Oscar nominations for Best Documentary. He's been on target before... will he get it right again?
- Cinema Eye Honors: No Losers Here
Tom Roston recaps winners and highlights from the 2014 Cinema Eye Honors at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens.
- Create Your Own Essential DSLR Video Kit
Find out which camera body, lenses, audio equipment, rigs, tripods, monopods, editing software and other miscellaneous tools you need for a top-notch DSLR filmmaking kit.
- Creating Multi Camera Sequences in Premiere Pro, Part 2
This article is part of a series of posts from MediaStorm with tips and tricks from their producers’ experience working with Adobe Premiere Pro CC after years of working in Final Cut Pro.
- Cinema Eye Honors: A Cabaret Party for Nonfiction Film Lovers
Now in its sixth year, The Cinema Eye Honors has come into its own as a celebration of documentary filmmaking. The 2014 Cinema Eye Honors
event will take place this Wednesday, January 8th, at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York.
- POV Films Available for Streaming Over the Holidays
Home for the holidays? POV is excited to announce the free streaming of many of its past films, including the 2013 award-winning The World Before Her.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2013
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! These films pushed the boundaries of the form and helped take documentary storytelling to a whole new level.
- An Open Letter to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to Include Documentaries in the Golden Globes
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston encourages the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to consider why they should include a documentary category in their annual Golden Globe Awards.
- Reviewing the 2014 Oscar Shortlist for Best Documentary Award
Last week, the shortlist of films eligible for the 2014 best documentary Academy Award was announced. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston reviews the list and shares what he thinks will make the top 5 nominations.
- For Filmmakers: DIY Digital Distribution Platforms
So you've made your film... Now you start the biggest challenge of them all: getting it seen. We've complied a list of digital self-distribution platforms and asked each one why documentary filmmakers should pick their service over all the others.
- Web Documentaries – A #docchat Recap
A recap of POV's #docchat conversation from December 3, 2013 with invited guests from the web documentary world.
- #docchat: Web Documentaries – Join POV's Open Twitter Chat on December 3
Join us on Twitter for a #docchat about Web Documentaries on Tuesday, December 3 from 12:30PM-2:30PM ET (9:30AM-11:30AM PT).
- Call for Filmmakers: Pitch Your Short Documentary on Black-Male Achievement by 12/20
Pitch your idea for a documentary short and it could be commissioned to be part of a web series tied to the broadcast of American Promise. Deadline: 12/20/2013.
- Advice to Documentary Filmmakers From Shola Lynch on Balancing Your Personal and Creative Life
In this excerpt from Tell Me Something, filmmaker Shola Lynch shares advice on balancing one's creative and personal life. Edited by Jessica Edwards, Tell Me Something features advice from 60 of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- Jessica Edwards on the Making of 'Tell Me Something' and Getting Advice From 60 of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Filmmaker and editor Jessica Edwards tells POV about making the book Tell Me Something, which features advice from 60 of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- Giveaway: Win Signed 'Tell Me Something' Book With Advice From 60 of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Tell Me Something features advice from 60 of the world's best documentary filmmakers. Enter to win POV's giveaway of five e-books and two signed books by filmmakers Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me, One Direction: This Is Us) and Albert Maysles (Grey Gardens, Salesman).
- Quebec's Digital Storytelling Manifesto
At IDFA 2013, digital storytellers from Quebec released a 10-point manifesto to both define "les nouvelles écritures" as an art form and to serve as a call for support from policymakers.
- In Conversation with the Critics (A #docchat Recap)
A recap of the #docchat conversation from October 22, 2013, with film journalists Christopher Campbell, Anthony Kaufman and Tom Roston.